low jittering a discman ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My first post !! is already a question… :rolleyes: :)

Is it possible to add a external low jitter clock to a portable cd? I have a very cool old ( 1991 !!) sony discman with optical output and I want to use it as a transport with a external dac.

The player has one of those little cylindrical quartz oscillator and it does not look to complicated to remove it

If anyone has done this mod or have any recommendation I will much appreciate some advise....

Thank you..

m.
:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It's possible

Hello Mekanoplastik ( ?!? ),

Write down the frequency of the old crystal. 16.9344 MHz is used in 90 % of cd players. The new one has to be of the same frequency of course.

Remove the crystal and both small capacitors that go from the pins of the crystal to ground. If there is a resistor connected across the crystal please don't remove it ! Write down to which pins of the accompanying IC the crystal was connected and search on the web with Google for the datasheet of this particular IC. Look in the datasheet which pin of both is the Xin.
If no information on this IC is found you can always gamble and just try one of the pins. Nothing will damage if you have the wrong pin. The player simply won't play or it will spin like mad.

When you know which pin it is you can connect a low jitter XO like Guido Tent's or Elso Kwak's to this pin. Please feed this new oscillator with a very clean supply.

*Do a search on this forum on "jitter" and "XO" and the like for more info*

Welcome on this forum by the way !

Jean-Paul

OMG Mekanoplastik is here!!!
I will take that as a welcome :confused: …im new here.. :)

Some update. I have “designed” a pcb using kwak schematic with all surface components, it only measures 15x40mm…small enough to fit the battery compartment. I will try to build it soon and post some comments and pictures…Martioz, maybe you could intall one in your denons... ;) mime will go in my hotroded d25...

Jean-paul..you were right, the player uses 16.9344 MHz…thank you.

m.

add clock outside the box?!

i like to wake up old threads! many of the pcps over here in europe is provided with optical out. since they are very small, i'm not too keen about opening them. however, the signal provided by the optical (toslink, i guess?!), is very jittery of course...

my question is: is it possible to do a external box, with optical input and i2s output, with a clock in between to reduce jitter and add a wordclock? or do you have to open up the player and remove the clock inside? any other good way to reduce the jitter dramatically?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.