CDROM->soundcard via spdif - getting lots of distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just wanted to try this out so I connected the 2-pin digital/spdif connector at the back of the cd drive to the spdif input connector on the soundcard and played the CD. There was quite a bit distortion. I will try to describe. I hear ocassional ticks/clicks, sometimes one of the channels fades or drops out for a very brief moment and then there is plain outright distortion (rough, grungy sound) that is always there.

When I connect the heaphones to the front jack on the drive, the sound is just fine. And when I play via regular IDE (foobar) it works great too. The drive is an unbranded (but I think its an i/o magic) DVD-ROM drive and soundcard is Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

What do you think could be causing this ? I am just using one of those typical internal connection cables - its a 2-wire unshielded cable. Could it be impedance imbalance because of the cable ? I am not sure whether to rule out jitter or not because the card by itself works just fine and I believe it would reclock everything coming in to its spdif input. Help?!

percy said:
I am using "Windows ME".
The only options I see in the CD-ROM properties are -

1. a slider for "CD Player Volume", which is about 3/4 of the way up.
2. a checkbox for "Digital CD playback", which is currently checked on.

Digital cd playback usually refers to IDE connection. [otherwise it's via the audio connector]

I dont think it refers to the IDE connection. It plays via IDE irrespective of whether that check box is 'checked' or not.
Additionally, the 2-pin digital/spdif works only if it is 'checked' (i.e. digital audio enabled)

I believe it is for switching between the 2-pin digital connection and 4-pin analog connection, both of which are typically on the back of the cd drive, and connected internally and directly to the soundcard.

The volume control slider also does not have any effect whether playing via IDE or internal digital/spdif connection. I think it works only on the 4-pin analog connection.

In a normal CD player (Windows CD player as an example), it uses the CD-ROM's integrated decoder and outputs both analog and digital at the same time.

When you select "digital CD mode", you can unplug both analog and SPDIF cables and it will still work. The audio is then coming from the IDE port. The CD Audio slider works in this mode.

If you use foobar, it uses it's own engine always reading thru the IDE port - and that's why you have to use Wave to control the CD player volume.

Optical drives are very noisy and might produce some clicks as you describe. I just mute the CD output and use either foobar or Winamp that use their own (better) DAE-mode players.

ok..I think I know what player you are referring to...but strangely enough that CD player option has disappeared from my Start->programs->Entertainment menu. Yet I searched for the file cdplayer.exe, I found it but when I execute it manually it invokes wmp! :xeye:

Maybe it wasn't installed at the same time as Windows.

Are there other players that use Windows CD playback engine?

If you have Winamp disable digital audio extraction and sampling options.

Well I found a shareware trial-version that does : http://www.axialis.com/axcdplayer/
(I tried that thing years ago, when Winamp still was a v1.x barely working shareware if I remember correctly)

Is it not because the voltage output of the signal from the CD player is too high for the input stage on the soundcard? Chances are you are overloading the receiver on the soundcard as it'll be expecting about a volt instead of the 5 volts or so you are probably giving it.

I have the same problem, use an nec DVD rom player connected to an dac of ciaudio
Vda1 directly distortion, with spdif converters also distortion.
Use several solutions PE 65612 and many others to convert.
Also when using teac 5010b of a same problem. Connect other dac same connecting cd player (digital) ok....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.