Removing muting transistors on Denon DCD-860

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum. It appears to be an amazing wealth of information and has had me reading intently for hours after discovering it this morning.

Unfortunately, I am new to the DIY audio thing and have very little technical knowledge of electronics. I have been reading over all the basic CD player modifications, and removing the muting transistors seems to be one of the simplest and most beneficial. I have no idea which transistors to remove and have no access to a schematic (though I doubt I'd be able to read it if I did), and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. If anyone has additional suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I know little about this CD player (DCD-860) other than that it was produced around 1990. If anyone has any background on it, such as if it is a worthwhile CD player, I would appreciate comments in that regard as well.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi cvalk,
I used to do warranty service on those. It's a good machine. If it's up to date, the CD clamper should be magnetic.

One thing that machine could use is a DAC upgrade. If you can locate a small PCB where you could take the digital signals off to the board and the audio back again .... The audio outputs would be a natural choice also. There are many members here that can help with those ideas.

Now, if you remove the muting transistors you must replace the function with something. I would suggest relay contacts from signal to ground. Do not just remove the transistors.

Now, before I forget. Welcome to diyAudio! :D

-Chris

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum. It appears to be an amazing wealth of information and has had me reading intently for hours after discovering it this morning.

Unfortunately, I am new to the DIY audio thing and have very little technical knowledge of electronics. I have been reading over all the basic CD player modifications, and removing the muting transistors seems to be one of the simplest and most beneficial. I have no idea which transistors to remove and have no access to a schematic (though I doubt I'd be able to read it if I did), and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. If anyone has additional suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I know little about this CD player (DCD-860) other than that it was produced around 1990. If anyone has any background on it, such as if it is a worthwhile CD player, I would appreciate comments in that regard as well.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
I know it's been ages since, but I wonder if it did ever work for you, to remove those transistors, I have a dcd 820 denon that I want to "castrate" too..
regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.