Njoe Tjoeb upsampler and balanced output - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2006, 07:10 PM   #1
jax8308 is offline jax8308  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Njoe Tjoeb upsampler and balanced output

According to the documentation, the Njoe Tjoeb 4000 upsampler converts the balanced signal to single ended with a transformer. Since I use balanced inputs on my preamp, I would like to leave the signal balanced and eliminate another conversion step.

This is from the manual:

Once in 192/24, the digital signal goes to a high quality double balanced D/A converter chip, which is surrounded by an extremely low noise power supply for maximum resolution and sound quality. Its balanced output signal is converted to single-ended by a proprietary purpose designed audio transformer, that proved to be superior to all solid-state solutions that we examined during extended listening tests. This transformer incorporates various design features, like a special iron core that has never been used before in audio, but proved to be very suitable. Also we used careful impedance matching and balanced windings to obtain optimum bandwidth extension, flattest frequency response, and lowest distortion figures.

Does this make sense or is it a waste of time ?
Old 21st April 2006, 08:25 PM   #2
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Speaking as a single-ended guy, yes, it makes sense to me. That even though I doubt there will be any sonic difference.

I'm also a vinyl junkie, and I hate to unbalance the inherently balanced MC cartridge. So I can relate.

The rational is the enemy of sense and reason.
Old 21st April 2006, 08:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It is a good idea to keep the transformer. It helps to limit the HF garbage produced by delta sigma dacs.
Old 22nd April 2006, 04:47 PM   #4
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Agreed. The trafo should stay. Lift the ground, or whatever the correct tech lingo is.

Hide this!Advertise here!