smd soldering problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys,
I have buyed few adapters from Browndog (p/n 031102) for soldering cs8414 to make it fit into dip28 on pcb.... The problem is that cs8414 is smaller than i can solder with my soldering iron and i can't be sure that i have soldered everyhting good....

question....does anyone know if somebody is offering soldered cs8414 on adapters to fit dip28 on a reasonable price....
thanks in advance and best regards
daniel

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Daniel,
Time for chemical help! Not recreational, but rather solder flux.

Clean the area with lacquer thinner and a cotton swab. Pick up some liquid solder flux similar to MG Chemicals # 835-100mL (in my case). Put a little across the pins and resolder.

You will find that the solder will wet the pins nicely and not "blob" across. Remove excess solder with solder wick. Clean again as above. If you centered the chip the result should be a "factory" looking job. You will get better with practice.
-Chris

thnx anatech.....the problem is that i can't be sure that the part is soldered good - i need to be really sure that it is o.k. .....that is why i wanted to find some dealer that might sold me soldered part on a adapter.....

thanks for the tip :) about soldering..... i will try it ....but i am still looking for a seller that might have those soldered adapters

Sparkle,

Anatech is right on the money. You need to have an adundant amount of liquid flux. You won't believe the results until you try it.

Kester makes handy little pens for fluxing down your work. $2...

Google "drag soldering" and learn about that.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Daniel,
Okay, you really forced me to admit to this. :( I used to use a magnifying glass. Now I use my reading glasses (arrrgh!) and a magnifying glass.

Okay, so I'm going blind! But if I can see it, so can you! :masked:

-Chris ;)

Edit: poobah, does the smell of burning hair ever interrupt your work ?? :D

Got hair?

:D :D :D :D :D

I though I'd never be able to solder this SMT stuff... gotten pretty good at it lately,

Even if your eyes are perfect... go and buy some 2.5 or 3.5 reading glasses. You'll walk into walls and stuff if you're not careful. But they are a must for doing SMT work.

Flux is the clue, even if you use fine tips..
as of the glasses - I am totally addicted to these ones..
works marvels for old geesers..:)
You can even have your regular glases out on the nose tip!

Attachments

• headmag.gif
    headmag.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 256
It really is suprising how nimble you can be under magnification. I thought that motor coordination would be 10x more difficult under 10x magnification, but you acclimate to it suprisingly fast.

I discovered something kinda neat a while back. Under a microscope and using a very fine needle you can manipulate soft metals like gold and lead almost like clay. It really gives you a different sense of the material.

woohhhaaaa.....
so many responses - and so encouraging.....well, i will give a try guys.....since you are all persistante .... i will find liquid flux and try to do the job....yes i will..... since you all can do that i can do that too..... fine tipped soldering iron and liquid flux.....
:)
o.k. - will let you know the results..... when i do that..... would be this weekend probably :)
thanks guys for your help .... it is good that there are so many of us with so much experiences... :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Daniel,
Did I mention that I find a wide tip easier to deal with? My best tip is 3.5 mm. The reason is that it doesn't cool off when soldering and I can set the temperature lower as a result. The solder flows nicely.

I am assuming you have a controlled temperature station?

Desoldering I can do three pins at a time. Shields come off easier too.

-Chris

yes i have temperature controlled iron.... 2mm wide and 50W.... :)
should be good.....i did not have any problems with TPA6120 to solder - even the cooling part of the chip that is under the chip.....i have problems with that cs8414 - i turn crazy because of it.....well, it might be the liquid flux problem....... :) will try everything.....

Daniel,
After you total the cost of the CS8414 and adapter, plus shipping, and consider the time you've wasted trying to solder, not to mention the fact that too much heat can ruin a chip, you could have purchased a CS8412-CP for a lot less. Email me your mailing address and I'll send you one.

Dear Ulas.... i need more than one chip and a constant supply on them so - Your offer is very kind but i have to stick with smd parts.....btw... for those who don't want to mess soldering by themselves - go and ask nice guy in Browndog (i received his answer yesterday) - he sells adapters and is also offering to solder the parts You provide for him on the adapters - price is $0,025 per pin - this is not to expensive if You have in mind that they will solder it proffesionally.....
Dear Ulas - thank You again - You are a great guy :) i admire you for your offer - the action is what counts - so i am in your debt ....suggestion : maybe Your offer would be better to go to Igla - if this is possible (I think he will be more than happy)

p.s. i have managed to sodler the chip on the adapter...after that i have removed with petrol everything that was left after the soldering.... it looks good...sorry no picture :( i think it might work o.k.

thanks for help You provided....
regards
daniel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.