Spdif sound card

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering using my computer as a cd transport. I could rip tracks to wav files before playing them. I am assuming this would help smooth the flow of data.

I have a yamaha sound card with spdif output. I have two questions.

1. How do I ensure the spdif output is a faithful copy of the raw CD data. for example, not an A to D recreation or conversion (from cd drive, software or the soundcard).

2. is this output suitable for D to A (like direct connection to a DAC).

Just make sure that no audio cable is connected from the CD Rom drive to your motherboard. Then the contents from your CDs should be recorded as wavs without any DA-AD steps onto your hard drive. I use audiograbber, freeware, to convert to wav.
The spdif output should be in the correct format for an external DAC. On my system fitted with an Emu 0404 soundcard this works beautifully. It converts optical data from my CD player (Sony X222ES) to analog and also wav data from the hard drvie to analog while it has an optical output should I want to use yet another external DAC. Hope this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.