Possible Spectrum Analyzer Project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Still some projects on the table, but I have TONS of these tri-color 5x7 displays. Not a lot of practical projects to use them in except maybe a caller ID for my grandma!

I haven't seen much information on a spectrum analyzer project, even if it was just for "eye-candy". Has anyone attempted this?

What about volume level meters?

Or someone give me an idea of something practical I could use them for!

Attachments

• p1010098.jpg
    p1010098.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 384
I don't think so.

The 5x7's datasheet didn't say anything like that and the board they were pulled from had resistor networks on them (probably for that purpose).

I'm still waiting for LiteOn to find/send me a datasheet on the 2" 4x4s.

[edit] The 4x4 array has no resistors.

Billions of years ago (ok, September 1979, pages 62 to 68 inclusive) Popular Electronics published plans for a real-time octave analyser that was based on a Gold Line model ASA-10, 10 bands, 7 LEDs per band. It used a bunch of bandpass filters, one LM3915 and a 4017 to scan and display the bands. It uses a lot of parts, but I'm pretty sure none are yet obsolete. PC board layout is provided.
http://www.gold-line.com/analyzer.htm
Call them up and ask them how much for the ASA10 kit... it used to be $139 complete (case and all).

I like the idea of a "bassometer" that just gives a readout below 100 Hz for the subwoofer addicts. I suspect that a microcontroller (maybe an ATmega) would be fast enough to sample, FFT and display on an LED matrix.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.