Bypass digital filter in PCM1794? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2006, 08:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bypass digital filter in PCM1794?

The spec sheet for PCM1794 says the internal digital filter can be bypassed. Has anyone used it in this capacity, and wouldn't this be equivalent to a non-OS DAC?
Old 10th April 2006, 08:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Bypass digital filter in PCM1794?

Quote:
Originally posted by ezkcdude
The spec sheet for PCM1794 says the internal digital filter can be bypassed. Has anyone used it in this capacity, and wouldn't this be equivalent to a non-OS DAC?
the internal digital filter bypass is used along with an external filter. the data rate is still expected to be based on oversampling of the original input data. there is no mode documented in the data sheet that allows data straight out of a digital receiver to get sent directly to the dac without oversampling.

(reading back over the datasheet, it might be ok to drive WDCK at a "non-OS" rate...other dacs that allow internal DF bypass typically expect the behavior i mentioned above).

bb
Old 10th April 2006, 08:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I also found that AD1955 could be used in a similar fashion.
Old 10th April 2006, 09:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

What I am thinking is something like CS8414->AD1896->PCM1794 (or AD1955). Therefore, it involves upsampling, which is admittedly not quite the same as a non-OS DAC. However, it does avoid the issue of the brickwall filter at the DAC stage.
Old 11th April 2006, 12:16 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

You do not avoid anything but one more FIR filter doing this, I'm not sure why you think the ASRC's polyphase FIR filter is less harmful than the integrated DF in the PCM1794, but maybe you could try it both ways and see what you think.
Old 11th April 2006, 03:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Man, I was thinking about using the PCM1704K, but that chip is expensive! Is it worth the extra cost?

Hide this!Advertise here!