Graphic VFD module - Preamp Update

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I've just bought one of these new Noritake-Itron graphic VFD's to replace the 20-by-2 text display in my preamp. It's early days yet, but I thought you'd like to see a few pictures...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The display I bought is an LCD-compatible unit - GU140X16G-7806 - that shares the same physical dimensions with the old text unit. It even works in 4-bit mode, which meant it dropped straight into the preamp with no hardware modifications of any sort... :)

This is a nice unit which I recommend. Farnell sell them in the for about £35. Check out my homepage for a few more details…

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
id like to build a desplay-pre amp
how long have yu been working on that preamp.?
Hi Jason,

Glad you like it! It seems like I've been working on it for ages now, but I only really get the chance to work on it at weekends... While it's basically finished, there's still quite a lot to do to the software before it goes into service.

£35 is really a bargain. I’ll check them out at Farnell. Do they have a serial mode also, comparable to the character ones?
Yes - the display also has a serial interface. You choose between sync or asych. Handy when you're running out of IO on your micro...

BrianGT: How are you getting with your preamp? I had a look at some pictures on your site last week - any more to follow soon?

Next project - some monoblock power-amps... just need to take a year off work ;)

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
mhennessy said:
BrianGT: How are you getting with your preamp? I had a look at some pictures on your site last week - any more to follow soon?

I have been putting time getting my monoblocks finished first, but I am getting them pretty close, so I am going to put more time into them. Where did you get those great looking buttons on the front?

I should put some pictures up soon, hopefully.

--
Brian

Hi jwb,

The labels are rub-down transfers. I'm just using some old ones that I bought from Maplin many years ago, which I've found survive quite well compared to the usual lettering that you can buy from a stationary shop. Maplin don't seem to stock them any more, unfortunately.

You've got to be really careful when applying them if you want good results - it took me nearly 4 hours! The final result is ok, but I won't be publishing a close-up shot!

Hi Brian,

I'll be looking out for more info on your monoblocks! I've rescued 4 old power supplies from an old sound-desk, and they come in perfect cases for monoblock amps. I might make 4 and bi-amp! The plans are fairly advanced, but just in my head at the moment...

For some info about the switches, check out this thread... (towards the bottom of the page)

Attachments

• switches.jpg
    switches.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 355
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.