Sony PSP as jukebox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

Im thinking about digitalizing my music (or rather go from CD to mediaserver).

I have been looking around at soundbridge, squeezebox and more when I realized that perhaps a PSP can work instead.

You can get software (so called homebrew) that plays internet-radio and allows you to stream from a PC. Or I can write/modify it myself.

The question is: How good is the PSP i terms om music? I cant find any values for it (noise, distortion and so forth)..

Have somebody tried it as a music source?

DragonMaster said:
Not sure if it's good. You could get shoutcast or icecast for internet radio. You could try easily, setting up a server is not too hard, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for.

Well.. the software isnt the problem. It already exist for the PSP (PSP-Radio for shoutcast for instance).

My concern are how good the PSP itself is as a music source?

Not what you ask for and most likely old news. But the Xbox used to be the best buy in the history of everything. (My favorite comparison is the Linn Knekt Kiver, which costs about $20,000 and can't do half what the Xbox can!) HDTV and all the new swank-looking games you can't play and whatever DVD format that will replace the current one will make it obsolete, at least not everything it used to be.

Server, whatever, is no problem with the Xbox since it's basically a PC. You can run any Linux app on it, once you have hacked it, that is.

Well.. now i have tried it.. And the headphone-out has a much lower output then my normal cd-players..

So I think im about to cancel this projekt before it begins, save some $$ and buy myself a squeezbox instead.

To bad though.. I really like the design of the PSP.. If they had just put a line-out on it, it could have been a killer kombo machine.. :)

Hi,

As far as I understand it your media server should be a PC, the
CDs stored as wav files or a high quality compression format,
and additionally a lower quality more compressed format.

Something like the PSP would be used to store and play only
the more compressed format, the system set up so the portable
automatically synchs up to the latest more compressed build.

:)/sreten.

DragonMaster said:

Before giving up, try it's sound(And crank up the volume). If it's good, you might just need a small preamp at it's output.

It accually sound pretty good :) So, as this is a DIY forum, can you suggest me something? Im pretty desent with a lodering iron if I need to be..

sreten said:
Hi,

As far as I understand it your media server should be a PC, the
CDs stored as wav files or a high quality compression format,
and additionally a lower quality more compressed format.

Something like the PSP would be used to store and play only
the more compressed format, the system set up so the portable
automatically synchs up to the latest more compressed build.

:)/sreten.

Im planning on storing the music on a PC and streaming it to the PSP. The PSP has WIFI connection to the Media Server.

So:
storage = PC
player and controll = PSP

It accually sound pretty good So, as this is a DIY forum, can you suggest me something? Im pretty desent with a lodering iron if I need to be..

Um, I don't know... What you want is a headphones to line level amp... If the PSP was older, it wouldn't have been a problem since h/p outputs were louder than line outs.

I can't seem to find anything right now. Anyone else has a suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.