cd laser replacement info needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi ocaukrell,
E-F balance is a pain, you need the manual ... or Pierre Verrany test discs. Your 'scope would work fine but you need to know how to set it up.

The disc motor bearings are normally worn by now. Th edisc table hieght is critical. Measure it to the nearest mm before touching anything. From the mechanism base to the top of the table.

Do you have any service info for this unit? If you aren't familiar with doing this, you can try to stick the head in, but if you know a good tech (on CD's, not TV's !!!) he can touch it up for you.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi ocaukrell,
Disc table height is measured from the metal sub chassis where the guide rails and motor are mounted, to the top of the disc table.

Alignment is very important. When the unit is aligned properly the sound quality is much improved, as is tracking ability.

Did you clean and relubricate the guides for the head. KSS-152A was plastic with no bearings I think. Failure to lubricate will wear out any guide, but plastic will go really fast.

-Chris

Ok so the pic shows the table hight, correct ?
As per photo, haven't touched it yet (yuch).
Yes will be cleaning and greasing before new one goes in.
If it makes a difference to sound, could I do small (tiny) adjustments by ear ???
Yes, I know not the best but still.

Attachments

• table hight.jpg
    table hight.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 241
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi ocaukrell,
Yes, that is the correct measurement.

No, there is no way you can align anything by ear alone. Once you have experience you can listen to the servo noise, and watch the 'scope.

From the looks of that, it will need a really good cleaning. Simple transport though.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi ocaukrell,
Either I hate it when I'm right, or the part is defective.

Is this the same fault as before? The disc motor may have been the problem in that case.

Experience would really help now. But to be of much more help I'd need to be with the unit. Is there a member close to you who is trained on CD's?

-Chris

Put old head back in, 'player says NO.
Wish I could swear sometimes..........:xeye:

Doing the same thing, spins up, trys to read toc, and just stays that way. POO.:eek:

Ok, bit the bullet, ordered a manual, US$17, when I have it, shall see what happens then.
Sposed to take under a week.
Dont want to wait, want it NOW........

When I have it if anyone wants a copy let me know.....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi ocaukrell,
Remove the disc motor after measuring the table height. Hold the shaft and spin it, rotate the shaft slowly. If you feel a "knocking" or vibration at any point, the motor bearings are toast. End of story. For the price you should have just replaced the motor as well.

-Chris

Much appreciate all the help.

"Felt up" the motor before I started, thought it was ok, was expecting to find it sticky or jammed.
After reading the last two posts, went back and re checked.
Height 20mm, spins smooth as, rotates smooth as, no clicks, rumbles, nothing. End play spring seems fine too.
If I didnt know better I'd think it's already been replaced.

Looked though the shipping box, found a 'service' reciept.
7/2000
Fault; Skips,track,start.
Action; Dismantle and test, unit exceptionally dusty.
Clean and relube mech.
N.B. Laser output degraded. cost to replace prohibative.

Love that "prohibative" bit. replacement cost me Au$40.

Think I need the service manual to arrive before I can go further..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.