diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/)
-   -   cheap sony cd player (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/76599-cheap-sony-cd-player.html)

baggins 27th March 2006 11:50 AM

cheap sony cd player

Does the CMT-EP30 laser use a 90 degree turning block
I,m trying to service one that says "NO DISC" so I stripped the sled but can't locate any block under the lens Is it missing? or is this an axial type laser?The laser is visible when searching for disk.The disc boss was pushed down on its shaft so its had a good knock at some time.
How critical is the height setting?

anatech 27th March 2006 01:53 PM

Hi baggins,
Disc table height is very important. The laser head has a diffraction grating. The beam needs to be split to the pickup diodes.

Many times the disc table will drop by itself (plastic on a metal shaft). There was not necessarily a hard knock to the machine.

-Chris

baggins 27th March 2006 03:02 PM

So when the player does its initial cd seek routine i.e.

Lens up and down - sled in and out .

The disc height still has to be within microns for the laser to read it?

anatech 27th March 2006 03:11 PM

Hi baggins,
No, but there is a specified focal distance. The table must be at that correct height (given in mm). You may need to measure another one with the same laser assy.

Sorry, I am not familiar with that one. Not enough to give you the measurement. A warranty shop may help you out if you get the right guy.

-Chris

baggins 27th March 2006 04:57 PM

I,m mystified ,I typed in the No,s printed on the little stickys on the module and google says this is a Thomson laser assy.

why would this be in a cheapo Sony bedsit box???

anatech 27th March 2006 05:15 PM

There are cheaper things than Sony mechs. I am not a fan of Thomson Consumer at all. This machine may be an "orphan".

-Chris

baggins 27th March 2006 06:14 PM

Whats an orphan? (in electronic terms that is)

anatech 27th March 2006 06:47 PM

Hi baggins,
Ah, sorry. An orphan in the service business is a product that is not supported well. Normally due to being manufactured by an OEM. The branded company doesn't want to know about it, neither does the OEM.

The spares are sourced by finding the closest model the OEM makes to what you have. Identical in some cases. Spares and guidance are referenced to the OEM model, not the branded model.

-Chris

baggins 27th March 2006 08:26 PM

Is this thing a clone or grey product then - the Sony logos etc and the user manual (downloaded) seem to indicate a genuine Sony product
would they use a Thomson sled? seems rather odd to me!

anatech 27th March 2006 08:34 PM

Hi baggins,
Understand that I'm only guessing here.

The OEM is Thomson, Sony bought them and branded the unit this way. This was done because the Thomson mech was less expensive than Sony's own. They did this to bring the model in at a budget price.

I don't know what technical support would be like in this case, or spares support after the fact. So you have a Sony unit that was manufactured at least partially by Thomson.

In my experience, all types of support would be well below the normal average, from Sony in this case. In warranty support might be replacement only.

-Chris