cheap sony cd player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive already done that in a sense by using the finger test ,If you let the end of your finger bump over the edge formed by 2 adjacent surfaces
you would be surprised how accurate your sense of touch is .
certainly you can feel .25 mm difference so in a sense it should be in the ball park . i am still not convinced its all there does anyone know if there should be an optical turning block immediately below the focus lens?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi baggins,
You are talking about a prism aren't you? It may just be glass or plastic on an angle.

The beam must go from the laser diode to the CD pit layer and back down. Somehow reaching the pick up photo diode array. Therefore there must be a beam spitter somewhere. The laser and pick up diodes can not share the same space.

-Chris

I used that term because I had read it somewhere in a CD maintenance site and i thought it was common terminology I would normally have used the term Dichroic mirror to describe the function
of passing and reflecting light rays on different polarities as i read happens in the normal CD optical system.
BUT i also read that some companies had refined the optics to reduce the lens/mirror count required . the trouble is I dont know if this Thomson pickup has a reduced optical set or not and therefore whether i am looking for something thats not supposed to be there anyway.Hence the wish for the service manual - IT might reveal ALL

baggins said:
the trouble is I dont know if this Thomson pickup has a reduced optical set or not and therefore whether i am looking for something thats not supposed to be there anyway.Hence the wish for the service manual - IT might reveal ALL

I'm afraid you have an extremely hopeful idea of what is provided in service manuals. As I mentioned earlier, the Sony manual merely shows the CD mech as a block, although there is a circuit diagram of it. In the probably impossible event of you obtaining a manual from whoever actually makes the mech (and to be honest Thompson doesn't sound likely!), I doubt it would tell you anything more.

Danny has kindly sent me the manual ,but it does not enlighten me ,as suspected by the cynics here . ha ha

The cd module is just a block and apart from -check the lasers working and seeking - thats about it !

I have set the platform to about 0.5 to 0.75mm above the plastic dust cover as this seems to be about the norm but i,m still getting
NO DISK on the display after the seek sequence is over.

I think it may have consigned itself to a receiver with tape cassette.
i cannot find any further info on google.

I know this may sound strange after all this time but-- i think Ive located the turning ( dichroic) It wasnt quite where I was expecting it ,it was smaller than I was expecting , It was dirty and the coating reduced its reflectivity even further.So it wasnt until I shone the beam from a dinky little led bulb inspection light i've knocked up in below the focus lens that I caught a glimpse of it.Any way Ive cleaned it with a sort of mini cotton bud made with a cocktail stick and half the head of a normal cotton bud.

But it still refuses to recognise a CD.!!
I am still of a mind that there is maybe a(collimating?) lens missing from between focus lens and the newly discovered Dichroic. This is all of purely academic interest as it came as part of a batch I bought and it owes me nothing ,except the fun of making it work.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi baggins,
It wouldn't surprise me if "things" fell out of the head. The lens in the Pioneer units used to fall out often. Carefully gluing them back in saved many customers the cost of a new one.

Cleaning the mirror, use only compressed air or possibly fluid followed by air. It doesn't take much to move them out of position sometimes.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.