cheap sony cd player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does the CMT-EP30 laser use a 90 degree turning block
I,m trying to service one that says "NO DISC" so I stripped the sled but can't locate any block under the lens Is it missing? or is this an axial type laser?The laser is visible when searching for disk.The disc boss was pushed down on its shaft so its had a good knock at some time.
How critical is the height setting?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi baggins,
Disc table height is very important. The laser head has a diffraction grating. The beam needs to be split to the pickup diodes.

Many times the disc table will drop by itself (plastic on a metal shaft). There was not necessarily a hard knock to the machine.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi baggins,
No, but there is a specified focal distance. The table must be at that correct height (given in mm). You may need to measure another one with the same laser assy.

Sorry, I am not familiar with that one. Not enough to give you the measurement. A warranty shop may help you out if you get the right guy.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi baggins,
Ah, sorry. An orphan in the service business is a product that is not supported well. Normally due to being manufactured by an OEM. The branded company doesn't want to know about it, neither does the OEM.

The spares are sourced by finding the closest model the OEM makes to what you have. Identical in some cases. Spares and guidance are referenced to the OEM model, not the branded model.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi baggins,
Understand that I'm only guessing here.

The OEM is Thomson, Sony bought them and branded the unit this way. This was done because the Thomson mech was less expensive than Sony's own. They did this to bring the model in at a budget price.

I don't know what technical support would be like in this case, or spares support after the fact. So you have a Sony unit that was manufactured at least partially by Thomson.

In my experience, all types of support would be well below the normal average, from Sony in this case. In warranty support might be replacement only.

-Chris

Thanks for your time Chris,

I,ll just carry on googling around for info on this laser but I,ve
seen it advertised in the far east (Photo as well) .but it was complete with the drive electronics and my guess is that it would be prohibitively expensive for this budget player.I may just put it back together and use it in the garden shed as a tape playing receiver.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Danny,
If you wouldn't mind, could you please send me a copy as well?

bhomester at gmail dot com .

That sure looks like it was made under some license. The table height may be the same as other sony transports.

Baggins, if you need I can measure one for you.

-Chris

I'm presuming the entire CD player section is just 'bought in', there are no spares available from Sony for it, you have to replace the entire CD mech, P/N 1-796-189-11 MECH, CD. Likewise, the entire cassette mech has to be replaced as well, no individual spares are available for that.

It's possible that the entire unit is simply 'bought in', although they look too 'Sony' to be sure!.

I could measure some of the other sony CD platter heights already
in my possession but unless you measure like for like it might just be meaningless and what is the datum point anyway ? it cant be the plastic cover I wouldnt have thought !

Incidentely Ive just made my first Mini disk recording on the CMT-MDI
machine I got off ebay (this had no problems apart from cosmetic stuff)
and hey this was a bargain ,what a superb little M/c. Cd quality ( ? ) recordings without the computer from any source THIS I LIKE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.