cheap sony cd player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Somethings getting lost in the ether here !!

I asked the question because you may have been replacing the upper focus element for all I know and i am trying to determine whether there is an other piece of glass/plastic in the optical system
immediately below this. if you did not understand the query I apologise

I have since taken apart the Aiwa bookshelf system and Ironically this
has a Sony ST***** laser pickup . However this did not enlighten me
either because underneath the focus element in this pickup is a 1/4"
dia tube which you cannot see down without removing the whole
focus lens and coil system .and since this was a working system Ishall reaasemble it and hope it s still working .Aah isnt technology fun!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nigel,
I bet that's a surprise to many.

Strangely in Canada, Aiwa was terrible for parts and service while Sony was much, much better.

If you are lucky, these days your CD has a Sony transport. Technics seem to be very good also.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nigel,
Sony only seem to list spares since they took over?.
Of course! There was an opportunity to reduce costs and deflect blame.

Most companies here have a so-so spares level compared to the good old days. Many only have stock for a short time (no where near the 5 year mark they should have). Cosmetic parts suffer the worst.

It's clear the collective "they" do not want their products serviced, but rather replaced. This is very bad for the environment and hastened the RoHS nonsense. This may have been solved in a more productive fashion. I shutter to think what the combination of inexpensive Chinese manufacture and lead free electronics will do to reliability. The customer is about to get it right between the eyes - again. Certainly until they get things figured out again.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.