Suggestion for the Low noise PSU for the osillator....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I would like to ask for the question on the regulator which is low noise for the clock circuit!

* Beside the LT323, LM1085, any good circuit is better than their performance?

Please advise! The input voltage for about 9-27V somthing....

Thanks a lot~

nFORCE said:
Hi,

Do you want to use SMPS instead of using Linear SMPS.

The OSC is 100KHz. What OSC you have, I can tune the OSC in SMPS to not overlap in the harmonic.

Email me.
50140834@alumni.cityu.edu.hk

I have demo board, try, I also want to know the result.

Regards,
nFORCE

gents

Be carefull with switching regulators, they are noisy, and when I say noisy I mean they produce a sh%tload of wideband noise which may unpleasantly interfere with your oscillator.

My own low noise supply that I commercially sell exhibits less than 5nV/Sqrrt Hz in the range of 20 Hz to 100kHz

For your reference: An average LM317 is 30 dB more noisy......

all the best

Fully agree with Guido. A well build discrete linear regulator is unsurpassed regarding noise. PSU noise is damn important for powering an oscillator that is intended to be of lowest side band noise and hence jitter.

Why would anyone use a switch mode regulator for powering such sensitive electronics? Even mechanical noise can largely impact performance of an XCO.

Not even batteries

The benefits to battery PSU's I suspect come from overcoming the earthing / 50(60) Hz noise prevalant in bad designs.

Noise levels are little better than even an LM317 at LF though - although they are better at HF.

Subjective audibility of jitter spectra is the relevant factor here, I suspect - start to draw current and batteries look appaling.

Andy.

P.S. TL431's are noisier than 317's and offer far worse impedance characteristics. Used as a filtered reference though they are good.

Ehm, no idea what you are trying to say Fred :xeye:

For those of you struggling with PSU noise, get rid of it in the oscillator circuit itself as well. Attached a circuit that does. T1 is also acting as an extra PSU filter as well. For 256 x Fs, L1 can be a 10.7 MHz mf-transformer, for 512 x Fs it can be a 27 MHz transformer. I am up to building this. In the past I build similar ones with a dual gate mosfet.

Attachments

• osc2.gif
    osc2.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 558
Andy,

You are right the 60/50 Hz component is important but I suggest you try the experiment, it is pretty simple to implement, then I would suggest you look at the jitter spectra and develop some correlation to what you hear. I was skeptical about the battery idea till I heard it.
All I am saying is keep an open mind till you have tried it. On the other hand no one has convinced me yet that a battery supply is better for an amplifier compared to a correctly designed traditional supply.

Jam

P.S. Any thoughts Fred?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.