Pioneer PDS-06 Error code 4???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The user manual says "cant read disc/disc faulty" The discs are not faulty. I dismantled the drive/laser and cleaned the lens, put it back and it worked..... Figured it was all ok and continued with changing the clock, put it back again and get the U4.
Reverted the mod to the original clock again but still U4.

The lens was not dirty to start with so something is wierd, cant get it running again.

Checking the laser unit, it seems to do what it should. The laser comes on, tries to find fucus, finds it. The disc starts, spins out of speed and no progression in tracking....U4
The clock should be fine as if I disconnect it nothing of this happens, it then just sits there flipping focus back and forth.

This is really strange....gave up on the PD-S06 after tracing the fault to the Sony CXD2507 not outputting the right spindle motor signals.

I got a new player, the PD-S707, added a few coils and changed caps in the ps to the decoderchip and before changing the clock I tested....get U4 on this as well.....
This time it works if I open and close the disk again.

Do anyone have any experiance working with players that have the Sony CXD2507 decoder chip, it seems very sensitive?

Have you tried changing the Sony CXD2507? I know it involves a lot of effort but the PDS-06 is a nice player and it may be worth the effort
I actually don't think the CXD2507 is broken, my guess is some sort of start up timing issue or latchup condition. Afterall I get the same on the pds707 each time I power it up with and without changing clocks.
If needed I might buy another one once I figure out why I get the U4 code.
I only use the players as transports and the PDS707 with a bit of work on local decoupling and a new clock is actually better in many respects then the PD-S06 in its original state.

Which clock design are you using?

I have my own, nothing "special" other then layout and powersupply. I also have a can type standard clock used for reference and the players behave identical with both clocks. The 707 even gives me U4 with the original clock so its something else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.