ti dacs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The PCM1704 is an R2R one-channel DAC without a digital filter. The PCM1738 is a ΔΣ two-channel DAC with an integrated digital filter. On the principle of simplicty, I would assume the 1704 sounds better, although I have never heard the 1738.

They are pushing the '1738, but if you look at the difference in cost, well........draw your own conclusions as to which one sounds better.

The '1738 does have current output. From what I have been told, it is not much different than other delta-sigma types, except that they allow you to use external components to create the voltage output. The other types perform the I/V internally, and the voltage outputs are summed externally.

Jocko

Well the 1704 is their only production sign-magnitude DAC. Telling someone looking for a sign-magnitude DAC that they should use a delta-sigma DAC is a ******** move. They list the 1704 as in production but digi-key ran out of the high grades months ago.

I have one, as soon I get a pcb I´ll tell you more!
According to the datasheet it combines the advantages of a multibit converter with that one from a sigmadelta.......???
The only thing I can say is that it would be heavy nonsens to convert the voltage output of a real sigmadelta to current only for convert it outside to voltage.....

yes, it´s a PCM1738...... Waiting for the PCB´s..... Hope they work, you know SSOP isn´t the best to solder and to etch....

I will test it only with the standard application, should mean no hypermega OP627 or tubes, only NE5534. Currently I´m only able to test it at 16bit/48kHz (cs8412)

AND: I have no comparision to other good DAC´s, currently I have PCM1716, WM8716, AD1855, TDA1541(standard) to wich I could compare it.

lovely screwclamps.....

I know, - but I really love Screw Clamps sooooo much! No, in fact I wouldn´t really mount a screw clamp, it´s only......
the matter why I didn´t made a solid ground plane is my printer....
but the hole board isnt´designed to bring me performance, since i´m a rookie in area of Digital-Analog Converters. Moreover it should be a solid platform for avaluatiin the hole thing...
But I would like to thank everyone who give me advices in terms of performance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.