Can over loud cd's overload dacs ? (Jocko?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
clem_o said:
Squawk like a chicken and run in circles, waving hands widely!

:)

Cheers

Totally with you there, make as big a noise as you can, better than sitting back and coping it on the chin, and saying oh well some of my cd collection has inbuilt clipping.

This is abhorrent to be finding it's way in into audio, especially if your into high end audio. It wouldn't worry me in the car or as lift music.

Cheers George

Hi George,

Just how subtle is the sound difference you guys are picking up from 0dbfs and -3dbfs? Do you think it's audible on a good pair of dynamic loudspeakers? I've junked the idea of ever buying a pair of headphones - the good ones simply don't last long where I live, am guessing corrosion of the coil winding.

Cheers

clem_o said:
Hi George,

Just how subtle is the sound difference you guys are picking up from 0dbfs and -3dbfs? Do you think it's audible on a good pair of dynamic loudspeakers? I've junked the idea of ever buying a pair of headphones - the good ones simply don't last long where I live, am guessing corrosion of the coil winding.

Cheers

Imedeate, when going from -3dfs then to 0dfs.

Cheers George

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi George,
Well, I'll give listening to a lower level first, then 0 dB. Level matched of course.

The thing is, I am very used to listening to pure sinewaves while checking for other noises and artifacts. I really don't think it exists on the units I listened to.

I still have the Cyrus, and also a Denon DCD-800 I can compare.

Hi Clem,
Squawk like a chicken and run in circles, waving hands widely!
Are your arms tired yet? Throat sore? ;)

-Chris

georgehifi said:

Totally with you there, make as big a noise as you can, better than sitting back and coping it on the chin, and saying oh well some of my cd collection has inbuilt clipping.

This is abhorrent to be finding it's way in into audio, especially if your into high end audio. It wouldn't worry me in the car or as lift music.

Cheers George

But I doubt it will be any more effective as if it is inbuilt you are stumped. If you write to one of the larger labels, good luck convincing them, nevermind the cd hardware manufacturers. Chances are they'll ignore you or at best see it as an oppprtunity to sell you the same thing on DVD-A, SACD or via MP3 download.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.