Who makes the best crystals ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
percy said:
I am searching for a good crystal to replace in the sound card. Right now its a Hooray (HEC?) 24.576Mhz. Is it good ?

Almost all that I looked at Mouser/Digikey have a tolerance/stability of +/-50ppm. What other better options do I have ?

Ordinary crystals are AT cut . You can try other cuts like SC, very expensive, but the circuit of the oscillator is more important.:cool:
I bet the ppm thingy you cannot hear.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
The long-term frequency tolerance is neither here nor there. Would you be able to hear if the music came out 0.005% slow or fast? What is important is the short term variation in frequency known as jitter. Jitter is mostly determined by the circuit around the crystal. Sound cards and CD players typically use appalling circuits which is why Elso Kwak's and Guido Tent's clocks are so popular.

In my experience (and I have not tried Guido's stuff!), Valpey Fisher makes killer oscillator modules. Vectron is also supposed to make really good stuff, but they are impossible to communicate with.

Phase jitter is what you want to minimize. In the end, the net result is a function of product and implementation.

Petter

Petter said:
In my experience (and I have not tried Guido's stuff!), Valpey Fisher makes killer oscillator modules. Vectron is also supposed to make really good stuff, but they are impossible to communicate with.

Phase jitter is what you want to minimize. In the end, the net result is a function of product and implementation.

Petter

Try to order a few in CD-frequencies like 11.2896 MHz or 16.9344MHz. I will take a few of the former
:rolleyes:
:D
:clown:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
If you look in the amateur radio magazines, you will find that you can have crystals custom-made to any frequency surprisingly cheaply. I wanted to make a crystal-based FM stereo decoder and had five crystals specially made for a very reasonable price.

EC8010 said:
If you look in the amateur radio magazines, you will find that you can have crystals custom-made to any frequency surprisingly cheaply. I wanted to make a crystal-based FM stereo decoder and had five crystals specially made for a very reasonable price.

He asked for a crystal-oscillator NOT for a crystal!
Where can we buy crytal oscillator with 16.934 mhz
:att'n:

be exact!

Hi,

If you are looking for precision crystals I think you should also specify with precision.

You are actually looking for a 16.934.400 Hz crystal (384 fs).

An interesting alternative is to have a 3rd overtone crystal made for this frequency. According to the specs they possess higher Q and lower phasenoise to start with (so does the expensive SC-cut). However you have to adjust the oscillatorcircuit.

Anyone tried overtone oscillators?

regards, Coen

Re: be exact!

Co& said:
Hi,

An interesting alternative is to have a 3rd overtone crystal made for this frequency. According to the specs they possess higher Q and lower phasenoise to start with (so does the expensive SC-cut). However you have to adjust the oscillatorcircuit.

Anyone tried overtone oscillators?

regards, Coen

Hi Coen,
The third overtone crystal will NOT work in the KWAK-CLOCK!
I am not fond of over tone oscillators therefore.
BTW it's 16.9344 MHz in English notation (16,9344 MHz in Dutch)

:cool:

Thank you Mr. Kwak, for your response.

I already have the schematic (I´ve been a silent reader of this forum for a while)...

I do prefer a canned oscillator, for its simplicity. I actually have one right here, removed from a PC soundcard. It´s branded NKG. There´s some writing on it: 5.6448 Mhz, and AXO-2100H. I tried to locate specs for this unit but haven´t succeded.
If I can source another 5.6448 XO, it would be interesting to compare the sound of the two!

Best regards,
Alexandre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.