Wadia Drive 8 Laser unit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Can anyone tell me more about the type of laser used in a Wadia Drive 8. I want to buy a spare one, because the player is more then 10 years old.
I found some very limited info that mentions a Sony KSS-151A laser unit in a Wadia Drive 8. (ordercode: 884806401) Can anyone confirm this?
many many thanks in advance.

WJ

Hello,

I also own a Teac VRDS T1 transport. Some weeks ago the laser unit died. I had it replaced and i got back a working player, the defective laser unit and the box which contained the new laser. So I now know for sure that the Teac VRDS T1 uses the KSS-240A(RP) (sony ordern°: 8-848-233-11)

Is the laser unit in the Teac VRDS T1 the same as Wadia Drive 8?

thx

WJ

Wim J said:
Hello,

I also own a Teac VRDS T1 transport. Some weeks ago the laser unit died. I had it replaced and i got back a working player, the defective laser unit and the box which contained the new laser. So I now know for sure that the Teac VRDS T1 uses the KSS-240A(RP) (sony ordern°: 8-848-233-11)

Is the laser unit in the Teac VRDS T1 the same as Wadia Drive 8?

thx

WJ

Thats good to know as the BU-E1 that's on my two laser units of the VRDS-T1's must be the number for the complete assembly, laser and sled where the laser by itself must be the KSS-240A
Thanks George

hello,

Wadia did send this answer to my main-dealer:

"The Wadia 8 uses the Sony KSS-151A laser pickup. We use the KSS laser in most of our products and have an adequate supply and are able to get more. It is probably not necessary to purchase a spare at this point in time."

So this confirms my earlier data, and give me some assurance about the availability of the laser unit.
This helps me a lot, and might help some of you as well.

So the laser unit in the Teac VRDS T1 is NOT the same as in the Wadia Drive 8

WJ

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi WJ,
Just the same, I'd pick up a laser head and spindle motor. If memory serves, isn't the KSS-151A a linear slide motor? If it's the one I'm thinking of, and there is a pad on the top of the head - peel it off. That's a common problem with some players. It will collect fuzz and or partially come off and cause problems.

If you are working on it, the coils desolder from the top. Be careful with the "fingers" underneath and the carbon track. That's the position indicator.

-Chris

Hi,

It should look like this:
sony_kss151a.jpg

At the moment i'm not having any problem with it. But I wanted to buy al spare one for my 10 year old Wadia Drive 8.

WJ

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi WJ,
I don't have the Wadia manual. Both Denon DCD-3560 series and Tascam CD-401 used the same transport. They had the same problems. (don't have those either)

Get a service manual from Wadia for your machine. It will cover setup as well. From there you can get your part numbers. They could faxyou an exploded diagram where you can identify the parts you need. They really ought to know.

If I had to fix one, I could "wing it" since I've aligned so many. It's better to have the manual.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.