analog i/o to ADAT - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2006, 03:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default analog i/o to ADAT

Hello everybody, I'm new here.
I'm French so excuse my poor English.

Can somebody help me to build my own ADAT interface (that means 8 inputs / 8 outputs to ADAT) ?

Have you got plans? shematics? entire project?

Thank you.
Old 5th March 2006, 09:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you want to build something like this you are unlikely to find a complete design on the web. You will have to find design for the separate parts and put it all together.
If 16bits and 48k is enough, you might consider getting something like a pair of digidesign 442's and adding an ADAT interface. It would be a lot easier, quicker and cheaper.
Old 12th June 2006, 12:40 AM   #3
Daveis is offline Daveis  United States
diyAudio Member

You maybe could use an already built Alesis AI4.
Old 4th May 2007, 08:19 PM   #4
bendyer is offline bendyer  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sorry, no plans, but you should take a look at the chips available from Wavefront Semiconductor. They've got ADAT rx/tx chips, plus audio AD/DA converters to match. The eval boards for the converters have ADAT chips on them, so you could probably adapt the reference designs to suit your needs (the designs are really simple, and will work great on a 2-layer PCB).

The Behringer ADA8000 is pretty much just an adaptation of the Wavefront reference design, so there must be some merit to the idea. Please use a better power supply than Behringer does, though!
Old 5th May 2007, 03:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

bendyer:
Quote:
Please use a better power supply than Behringer does, though!
What's wrong with the power supply in them? I actually just got one via ebay - so recently that it hasn't even arrived. Is it noisy or something? Or often fails?
Are they smps or transformer/rectification?
Old 6th May 2007, 02:46 AM   #6
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'll bet it's cheaper to buy the Behringer than to chase down the parts to build from scratch. So, get one, and upgrade the power supply and whatever else isn't good enough.

I have to say that for 2-channel recording, I'm very pleased with the SRC-2496. The only things I could wish for would be a higher resolution LED level meter, and latching O dB LEDs, so I can tell if the anything clipped without having to check the recording.
Old 6th May 2007, 07:18 AM   #7
bendyer is offline bendyer  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by newmz
What's wrong with the power supply in them? I actually just got one via ebay - so recently that it hasn't even arrived. Is it noisy or something? Or often fails?
Are they smps or transformer/rectification?
The PSU is not particularly well-designed, and is probably the least reliable part of the system. Mine has been fine (had it about a year), but others have had trouble. The regulators run really hot (13V fed to a 5V regulator, and 25V to a 15V reg), and when they fail it kills the transformer.

Apart from that, it's a solid entry-level multichannel converter. The AD/DA chips aren't great (Wavefront parts with a little less than 110 dB dynamic range), and the outputs run quite hot (some kind of pad would be useful!), but hey, it cost me AUD450.
Old 11th May 2007, 06:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The regulators run really hot (13V fed to a 5V regulator, and 25V to a 15V reg), and when they fail it kills the transformer.
I haven't had a look inside yet, but...
How hard to mod? like if I could get a transformer with, say 5-7v to the 5v reg and 15-18v for the 15v reg? Does it only use a 5v and a 15v?

Hide this!Advertise here!