analog i/o to ADAT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you want to build something like this you are unlikely to find a complete design on the web. You will have to find design for the separate parts and put it all together.
If 16bits and 48k is enough, you might consider getting something like a pair of digidesign 442's and adding an ADAT interface. It would be a lot easier, quicker and cheaper.

Sorry, no plans, but you should take a look at the chips available from Wavefront Semiconductor. They've got ADAT rx/tx chips, plus audio AD/DA converters to match. The eval boards for the converters have ADAT chips on them, so you could probably adapt the reference designs to suit your needs (the designs are really simple, and will work great on a 2-layer PCB).

The Behringer ADA8000 is pretty much just an adaptation of the Wavefront reference design, so there must be some merit to the idea. Please use a better power supply than Behringer does, though!

I'll bet it's cheaper to buy the Behringer than to chase down the parts to build from scratch. So, get one, and upgrade the power supply and whatever else isn't good enough.

I have to say that for 2-channel recording, I'm very pleased with the SRC-2496. The only things I could wish for would be a higher resolution LED level meter, and latching O dB LEDs, so I can tell if the anything clipped without having to check the recording.

newmz said:
What's wrong with the power supply in them? I actually just got one via ebay - so recently that it hasn't even arrived. Is it noisy or something? Or often fails?
Are they smps or transformer/rectification?

The PSU is not particularly well-designed, and is probably the least reliable part of the system. Mine has been fine (had it about a year), but others have had trouble. The regulators run really hot (13V fed to a 5V regulator, and 25V to a 15V reg), and when they fail it kills the transformer.

Apart from that, it's a solid entry-level multichannel converter. The AD/DA chips aren't great (Wavefront parts with a little less than 110 dB dynamic range), and the outputs run quite hot (some kind of pad would be useful!), but hey, it cost me AUD450.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.