ps3 and SACD - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2006, 01:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default ps3 and SACD

The ps3, if it ever comes out, is supposed to play SACD's at full resolution (Sony calls this "SACD HD"). Now the mockups they have been showing do not have 6 analog outputs on the back of the machine.

http://www.ps3land.com/ps3-pictures/picture50.php

So will Sony force the SACD output to go through only the HDMI interface? Ripping SACDs without the Hybrid CD layer is a doable but time consuming task involving redigitizing the audio output. I'd be happy with a downsampled 44.1/16bit stream through the Optical output. The only reason for me to rip them would be to have them for listening in the car or on an MP3 player where the higher resolution would be wasted anyway. Probably just wishful thinking, I'll just end up doing the DAD conversion of the few non-hybrid disks I have anyway.

Here are the specs. http://www.ps3land.com/ps3specs.php
Old 3rd March 2006, 09:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

BTW, video game consoles often don't have any RCA jacks at all on the back. I would suppose that the 6 channels are going to be connected on the A/V out connector.
Old 8th April 2006, 02:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Or it's going to be converted to DD ???
Old 15th October 2007, 05:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I guess it's never too late to answer an interesting question, and noticing the popularity of the 'PlayStation(1) as a CD player' thread...

The answer: PS3 doesn't convert the DSD to Dolby Digital but, remarkably, to high-resolution PCM. For the time being at least. Streaming DSD output via HDMI seems so easily feasible and such an obvious thing to do. Who knows what firmware upgrade v2.0's got up its sleeve for us? Previous upgrades 1.80 and 1.90 already offered great improvements for SACD playback.

Anyway, there's a dedicated website about this topic: PS3SACD.com
PS3SACD.com

Hide this!Advertise here!