CD-player under US$1,100?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now that CD-playback reached maturity, which are, in your opinion, those NEW CD-players that stand head and shoulders over the competition under US$1,100?

From what I listened so far, the only one that is in my budget and I like is the Chinese Original CD-2008 MK II.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
At this point, I'd be looking for a good transport (CD mech). They don't publish the eye pattern quality and that's where your signal starts. Being able to fix the darn thing in a few years wouldn't hurt either. That leaves out Philips transports, Sharp maybe too.

My vote would be on a Sony transport (could be in another machine), Teac is known for support. Denon can support.

Understand that the days of good mechanisms are gone :bawling: because most of use bought cheap, not good.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi rmihai,
I'd need to know the transport in each to answer that, or look at them with the top covers off.

The heavier chassis has advantages, so does the larger P/U heads with real bearings for the slide rails. A sliding guide is not as good in general. The number on the heads may give a clue here.

KSS-151A was good (linear motor), KSS-210A and KSS-240A I laughed at when they came out. They are high end now. :xeye: The newer ones seem to want to use nylon and would tend to wear out faster.

NEC made some really fine optics. All gone (for over 10 years).

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.