Marantz cd5001 Mods ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, why not ?

I had planned on getting something more expensive (Arcam), but then thought I'd save the extra cash for better amps and a music streamer such as the Squeezebox 3/Soundbridge. I really like the looks and spec/price of the CD5001 but thought I could tweak it a little. I even thought about using an external DAC.

I'm curious as to how this player compares to something like the Nad 521bee (burr brown DAC).

What do you think of the CD5001 ?

Hello,

I think this Marantz CD5001 player sounds very clear and detailed over the whole range. I am pleasantly surprised about the music it can reproduce from my old cd's. A lot better then my previous Denon DCD825.

But it sounds a bit flat and cold at the same time. It misses the dynamics which I do get from my DVD player and the music in films.

So I thought aswell that this player should be able to sound better with some minor changes. The question is what to change.

I've been looking for the service manual but not able to get it yet.

Anyone with some good ideas?

Max

Yes I agree, this is a lot more detailed than my old Kenwood CD player, but the "Kenny" had a punchier sound....

I'll probably start by fitting Spikes to reduce vibrations and change the power cord for fatter higher quality cable.

Aren't the electronics similar to the Marantz CD 5400 ?

Could we not make the same changes that Marantz themselves have made with the
CD5001OSE ? (I don't know exactly what they've changed though...)

I downloaded the CD5400 service manual and opened my CD5001. They appear to be mainly the same.

When checking the lowpass filter I found something strange with the CD 5400. See my reply on the CD5400 moddings subject with pics. This is probably the same in the CD5001.

Curious what the changes will be when this is modified!

I will wait with modifying for now because my player is fairly new and risk problems with the warranty when needed.

Unless the change will be worth the effort!

Let me know.

I changed the OPAMPS of my CD5001 for AD8066 ones.

The sound has improved a lot!

The high is not so sharp but silky soft.
Better stereo image.
More depth in the music (music fills the room).
There's more "punch" in the music. Probably because there's more depth.

Bass seems dryer (but I'm not sure). Maybe they have to "burn in"? (I do not believe this sort of stuff).

Will change some capacitors to when I have them.

I also have the 5001 ose and was wondering about mods namely reclocking with a tent clock and pwr supply?
i have changed the mains lead and added some dynamat as the top case rings like a bell !:xeye:
i do like the smooth sound i get from it in combination with my marantz pm7200 amp and b&w dm 603 s3 speakers
i am using i/c's made by zanash and they are superb

well i have my cd 5001 ose in bits now and have finished damping the chasis, changed the mains cable, fitted spikes and am now awaiting some instructions for any other mods i have some main board pic's if anyone wants them both top and bottom
i am a total novice at this by the way
Taz

ok so i got brave today and removed the crappy analouge output sockets and replaced them with neutrik gold plated jobbies, the original is only gold plated on the earth side and not on the signal side? I hardwired them with solid silver cable.
I also removed the 4 muting transistors
Sound is a lot better especialy in the bass region
will post more after some more mods and listening tests

ok so the modds move on
have now replaced the output cap's the new ones are quite large and had to be mounted of the board so pure silver wired direct to the output sockets, also changed all the standard diodes with 11dq10 schottky's.
the sound has moved up an awfull lot and the cd player is really starting to sing, most importantly the bass has improved by an order of magnitude both in depth and clarity.
there are still other mods i need to try although I now doubt that a reclock will be needed as i can't envisage a new clock being able to lift the game much higher in a cost per sound league, unless any one else knows differently?

i did

1)on the bottom side remove the njm2068 (smd) and solder a soket. There i used the op275 with very very good results. lm6172 should be better i have only the 6171. dont try current feedbak opamps!
2) bypass each opamp voltage rails (close to them) with 1mf mkt and 15mf tantalium.
3) remove the mute circuit. just cut the emmiters not the transistors(they are 4)
4) short the output capacitors

the improvement is huge!!!!
reply for details or an idea you dont need a schematic it is easy

i guess i went about it slightly different as i actually removed the muting transistors altogether.
The output caps I changed rather than shorting them with some given to me by zanash who has been helping me (as I am a complete novice) and they sound superb, smooth and detailed
as for changing the opamps it looks very difficult to me (remember i'm new to all this) ohhh all them little legs!
I think the transformers could be next on the list as they look a bit poxy. Recently been working on my speakers b&w dm603 s3 have oredered some new hq cap's and solid silver cable. Also looking to swap out some bits in the amp (marantz pm7200) to see what can be gained from the rest of the system as the gins made so far are really good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.