Marantz cd5001 Mods ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
more for the cd5001

1)Is very impotrant to bypass the ic's with the capacitors.

2)if you change the opamps you get a totally different sound so i insist you should try it. THESE OPAMPS ALSO HAVE A LOT OF NOISE
order smd versions

3)locate the cs 4392. Bypass the supply with 1mf mkt +10mf tantalium for analog and digital

4) on the cs4392 some pins are for filtering. replace the cheap capacitors (1mf , 10mf) with good ones

you have the pm 7200? i would like if you could send me or post here a clear picture from the inside to see if it worths to buy it.... and tweak it.

thanks a lot

I've given taz a hand with his mods...........

Quite a stunning improvment was to swap the output caps for a pair of 2.2uf 400v pio caps[ not ideal but al i've got]. the remainder of the output tracks were taken off board with silver wire.

The player now sounds very good ....fast smooth and deep controled bass.

I'd agree about the opamps .....

what socket have you used ....a dil8 or a smd typ ?

hehe "a hand" eh zanash
if it wasn't for this guy nothing would have got done so big thanks for that zanash
i can send you a copy of the pm7200 manual mkmk if you like
i would imagine there are some tweaks that can be made to this amp so if you come up with any recomendations for it i am all ears so to speak
so far the cd mods have made such a large difference that i have now decided to keep my speakers where as before i was ready to change them so big change then.

Hi Zanash,
thank you. As you can see, i live in the UAE but i am French so my English sounds sometimes not very good so forgive me. I have some knowledge about soldering and "general" electronic.

Well, firstable i would like to 'improve" the output caps for a "better sound" as a lot of people say....;) It's simple 5001 and not OSE cd player so i think there are only basic parts inside.
After, i would like to work the clock and after this....i will see !:D

As you can guess, i bought this cd player to learn how to do mods. I bought an external DAC (North Star), i just need the optical or coax output.

Hoping i didn't do too much mistakes....:smash:

Olivier

the 5001 has digital coax out....

if your needing a cable a single rca rca ic will work .......

the dc blocking caps can be swapped for off board 4uf 160v pio[paper in oil]
I got a set off ebay that were nice ...and cheap ex ussr military by all accounts.

just fit jumper wires to the caps from the board and back ...you don't even have to worry about polarity .....the caps are c210 c310...

you must remove the four muting transistors d404 d405 d406 d407

these will be squashing the dynamics and clarity of the player.

you could fit bulkhead mount sockets in which case take the signal out from the dc blkocking caps straight to the centre pin of the new sockets ....the old sockets need to be desoldered. A connection to the ground from the new sockets must be made to the original ground made on the pcb.

Hi Zanash

I cant email you as I am new, would like any pics if you have or how to identify the o/p caps. I have the 5001OSE. Many thanks. I am guessing this is one of the easiest mods/improvement alond
g with removing the muting trannys?

Also....I am about to get a DV7600 that is supposed to have a decent audio DAC - will the 5001OSE still be better at CD repoduction??

Thanks

Sorry guys but for once i can post in France on this forum !;)

Bonjour Jules,
envoye un mail à Zanash. C'est ce que j'ai fait et il m'a envoyé 2 ou 3 "trucs" à faire avant de continuer plus loin.
Olivier

Translation ('coze you want to kill me w/out it :

Hi Jules,
send an email to Zanash. It's what i did and he sent me back 2 or 3 "things" to do before going further.
Olivier

But i think i won't work more on it 'coze i bought a DAC (Northstar M192) and need only the coax output.

hi zanash,

breizheau send me by mail some pics.

"componentcd5001.doc"
on the signal path, yellow blocks (resistors) are to be changed or is this not critical ?
and the blue blue blocks (caps near the opamps) ? what about changing them ?

"layoutmods06"
what is the meaning for the drawing in red next to the 4700ùF caps ?

thanks

a booklet, nice idea...

hello zanash (and others),

as you probably understood, i m a beginner in tweaking. I only build or modified some pairs of speakers.

I also have the project to tweak my marantz pm7200 amplifier and need some ideas. I didn't open it to see what's inside, but I think of putting Schottky diodes, increasing values of the supply caps (12000ùF seems to be a little weak for a 2*25 watts class A amplifier). what else ???

thanks

hello

i change yesterday the output caps with wima mks 4.7ùF 50v. they had nothing better such as black gate in the shop, and i ordered 2 opa2604 for next week.

mute circuit i removed.

sound is already differrent. i only let cd player for 3 hours since changes have been made and my kids (that means noise...) were there. I will try today to have a quiet moment to listen with care and tell you.

bye

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.