Marantz cd5001 Mods ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Marantz CD5001 mods

Upgrade the opamps. They are surface-mount on the bottom side of the board. Upgrade the coupling and output caps. I use Black Gates, a notable improvement. This is a very good player. I picked one up new for $250 at a home theater store. I like it better than the NAD C541 I had. Go figure. It has a 2V output, so may be easy to try with a passive pre and SS amp if so inclined. I'm getting excellent, real sound with great imaging and soundstage.

How about a non-audio mod? Has anyone figured out a way to disable the 30 sec auto-close function of the disc tray?

I like the sound of this unit in stock form, and my only gripe is that darn disc-jammer (only got caught once in 2 years, but that is one time too many)!

Marantz CD5001's flimsy loader

"Has anyone figured out a way to disable the 30 sec auto-close function of the disc tray?"
Hear, hear, jclin4. That is exactly what has gotten this baby to me for free. It had been used in a local theatre until for the umpteenth time the autoclosing loader was once too many roughly stopped by an amazed guest unfamiliar with this (in a theatre situation anyhow) totally useless and even confusing function.
1 of both loader guide cogs were busted, and 1 of its 2 seatings, but i've been able to work my way around this by carefully removing debris from the busted cog with a cutter knife and relocating the axle by means of some fat copper wire firmly soldered to the transport chassis. A bit old school, but it seems to hold fine.
I am not inclined to let the unit leave my home anymore, will treat the loader with extreme prejudice (shame on you, Marantz, but thanks anyhow), and- whenever I find the time- try the basic mods of removing the 4 muting trannies and upgrading the output capacitors.
Outputs have already been upgraded to gold-plated XLR3s by the theatre.
Thanks a lot to you all!

Marantz CD 5001 schematics

Dear Lautar,
your schematics of the Marantz CD5001 would be very welcome, but alas my and most of my Western European colleagues' knowledge of the Cyryllic alphabet is too limited to be able to navigate the site you have directed us to, let alone being able to type it.
Do you know any way around this?
Much appreciated!
Hexdiy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.