Marantz cd5001 Mods ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2006, 11:26 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

I downloaded the CD5400 service manual and opened my CD5001. They appear to be mainly the same.

When checking the lowpass filter I found something strange with the CD 5400. See my reply on the CD5400 moddings subject with pics. This is probably the same in the CD5001.

Curious what the changes will be when this is modified!

I will wait with modifying for now because my player is fairly new and risk problems with the warranty when needed.

Unless the change will be worth the effort!

Let me know.
Old 5th March 2006, 11:39 AM   #12
adinica is offline adinica  Romania
diyAudio Member

OK, good luck!
Old 10th March 2006, 10:53 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I changed the OPAMPS of my CD5001 for AD8066 ones.

The sound has improved a lot!

The high is not so sharp but silky soft.
Better stereo image.
More depth in the music (music fills the room).
There's more "punch" in the music. Probably because there's more depth.

Bass seems dryer (but I'm not sure). Maybe they have to "burn in"? (I do not believe this sort of stuff).

Will change some capacitors to when I have them.
Old 29th March 2006, 09:01 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Changed the OPAMPS for AD8620.
Changed the capacitors of the low pass filter output.
Elna Starget and WIMA FKP's.

Sounds very good!

Some picture's: www.sundew.nl
Old 14th May 2006, 08:22 AM   #15
Taz is offline Taz  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I also have the 5001 ose and was wondering about mods namely reclocking with a tent clock and pwr supply?
i have changed the mains lead and added some dynamat as the top case rings like a bell !
i do like the smooth sound i get from it in combination with my marantz pm7200 amp and b&w dm 603 s3 speakers
i am using i/c's made by zanash and they are superb
Old 17th May 2006, 10:13 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

well i have my cd 5001 ose in bits now and have finished damping the chasis, changed the mains cable, fitted spikes and am now awaiting some instructions for any other mods i have some main board pic's if anyone wants them both top and bottom
i am a total novice at this by the way
Taz
Old 22nd May 2006, 07:26 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

ok so i got brave today and removed the crappy analouge output sockets and replaced them with neutrik gold plated jobbies, the original is only gold plated on the earth side and not on the signal side? I hardwired them with solid silver cable.
I also removed the 4 muting transistors
Sound is a lot better especialy in the bass region
will post more after some more mods and listening tests
Old 2nd June 2006, 03:21 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

ok so the modds move on
have now replaced the output cap's the new ones are quite large and had to be mounted of the board so pure silver wired direct to the output sockets, also changed all the standard diodes with 11dq10 schottky's.
the sound has moved up an awfull lot and the cd player is really starting to sing, most importantly the bass has improved by an order of magnitude both in depth and clarity.
there are still other mods i need to try although I now doubt that a reclock will be needed as i can't envisage a new clock being able to lift the game much higher in a cost per sound league, unless any one else knows differently?
Old 6th June 2006, 12:19 AM   #19
mkmk! is offline mkmk!  Antarctica
diyAudio Member

Default i did

1)on the bottom side remove the njm2068 (smd) and solder a soket. There i used the op275 with very very good results. lm6172 should be better i have only the 6171. dont try current feedbak opamps!
2) bypass each opamp voltage rails (close to them) with 1mf mkt and 15mf tantalium.
3) remove the mute circuit. just cut the emmiters not the transistors(they are 4)
4) short the output capacitors

the improvement is huge!!!!
reply for details or an idea you dont need a schematic it is easy
Old 6th June 2006, 01:43 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

i guess i went about it slightly different as i actually removed the muting transistors altogether.
The output caps I changed rather than shorting them with some given to me by zanash who has been helping me (as I am a complete novice) and they sound superb, smooth and detailed
as for changing the opamps it looks very difficult to me (remember i'm new to all this) ohhh all them little legs!
I think the transformers could be next on the list as they look a bit poxy. Recently been working on my speakers b&w dm603 s3 have oredered some new hq cap's and solid silver cable. Also looking to swap out some bits in the amp (marantz pm7200) to see what can be gained from the rest of the system as the gins made so far are really good.

Hide this!Advertise here!