FIR Digital Filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently I read quite a number of articles on digital filters, especially FIR ones. In a FIR filter, there are taps in which digital signals are delayed for certain period of time before they come out multiplied by a (unique?) coefficient and are summed as a single output. The result is there are new interpolated samples which smooth out the staircases and thus the analog filters can be of lower orders.

This is how a common digital filter works. Usually the filter chips has limited internal accumulator length which may be a problem. And usually there are stages of taps. For example, 2X filter followed by 2X filter followed by 2X filter. This according to Ryohei Kusunoki will cause audible accumulated delay.

Is it possible to design a single stage FIR digital filter that doesnt sum the output, and in other words the individual lines from the coefficient mulitipliers are fed to individual DAC chips?

This according to Ryohei Kusunoki will cause audible accumulated delay

If both channels of the audio are filtered the same way, that won't matter. Sure, there's delay, but a few fractions of a second are of no consequence. As for truncation effects, a good filter design maintains all the bits, and rounds things back to 16 bits (or more if the DAC chip can accept them) just before they hit the DAC chip.

If the coefficients are carefully selected, one can build filters without having to use real multipliers. Simple combinations of powers of 2 are easily done with shifts and adds.

PatPet said:
This is how a common digital filter works. Usually the filter chips has limited internal accumulator length which may be a problem. And usually there are stages of taps. For example, 2X filter followed by 2X filter followed by 2X filter. This according to Ryohei Kusunoki will cause audible accumulated delay.

Yes, there is a small delay, but since FIR filters are usually 100% phase linear, you will not hear it, no matter how often you do the filter.

My intention of the approach to not summing the taps is to let the DACs run at 1fs which means the advantage of jitter immunity of non-os dacs is not taken away by oversampling.

For the delays, i think one stage filtering is the best but needs lots of processing power.

PatPet said:
My intention of the approach to not summing the taps is to let the DACs run at 1fs which means the advantage of jitter immunity of non-os dacs is not taken away by oversampling.

Why would 1x fs have less jitter than a Xx fs DAC? Besides, it will not work! You can't filter digitally wil a 1x fs DAC, since the output of the filter is still 1x fs, the filter is of no use.

You need Xx fs to gain bandwidth, and then filter it down with the FIR filter.

For the delays, i think one stage filtering is the best but needs lots of processing power.

Not more processing power, but more memory. Also, this is were oversampling comes in handy, since at higher frequency, you'll need less tabs for the same result as a comparable filter at low frequency.

Why would 1x fs have less jitter than a Xx fs DAC? Besides, it will not work! You can't filter digitally wil a 1x fs DAC, since the output of the filter is still 1x fs, the filter is of no use.

The output of an ordinary digital filter is the summed signal from all taps.
What I'm interested is if we dont sum the taps and feed the DACs with individual signals from the taps and sum finally at the outputs of the DACs, we'll get an analog signal that looks like it has been oversampled. If a DAC is fed with 1Fs signal, it is less sensitive than it will be if fed with oversampled signal.

4real said:
Again: you cannot FIR filter a non oversampled signal.

Well, you van of course, but not for this application. The whole point of this working is using oversampling.

I dont agree. What is the difference between summing or not summing in the digital circuitry? Assuming perfect DA conversion, the analog output should be the same as that of DA with summed input.

rfbrw said:
Most definitely am. Pre and post edit. [/B]

Well, that's to bad then!

Let me explain why (I think) I am right:

What is the digital filter for: wel, exactly the same thing as the analog one would do, but this one works in the digital domain. So: we need to filter somewhere on the end of the digital bandwidth of the orriginal signal, lets say 20 Khz. Now we apply our 20 Khz FIR filter to the non oversampled signal and get a 20 Khz filterd non oversampled filter again. So now: what use is this? Answer: non what so ever! For the filter to work you would need a stopband bandwidth after the filter, and with non oversampled data, you don't have this.

If you thinkt is stupid or wrong, please elaborate, because with comments like this, you can better stay away for this forum completely.

Originally posted by rfbrw Wrong. It's function is to raise the sample rate thereby avoiding the need to use high order elliptic filters when removing the images.

Exactly! So it does exactly what a normal analog filter would do, only in the digital domain. Obviously you'll still need an analog filter, but it can be at a far higher frequency.

I've around this place somewhat longer than you and I've seen wiiseacres like you come and go and short of a visit from the Grim Reaper I will not be going anywhere anytime soon.

So what! Since when does that mean anything? If you think I'm wrong, come with decent arguments. We're all here to learn, so and if I'm wrong, I want to be told, not called a stupid wiseacres (whatever that means...)!

It's to bad you didn't comment on the rest of my post, since that is the most important part!

rfbrw said:
I didn't comment on the rest of your post because it was irrelevant. A normal analogue filter cannot raise the sample rate. You need an oversampling digital filter to do that.

No it's not! The topic starter want to do FIR filtering in a non oversamping DAC. I say: you cannot do that for the reasons I already stated. Sure you can put an external ovesampling fiter in front of your (whatever) DAC, but that will do 4 to 8x at max. Imho, that is not really a lot, and I don't think It's of any use.

rfbrw said:
Yes but where does one start? Seeking to match the alledged jitter immunity of nos-dacs does not make the thread about nos dacs.

You still don't get to, do you! He want's to use a nos DAC, and want to use the FIR filtering (combining the (somtimes) present three stage filter).

So actually, it IS about nos DAC's, and this would mean that FIR filtering is of totally no use. That you can combine the three stage filter (if present) to just one is of course obvious, and is already said.

The actual problem is that the topic starter doesn't completely get that the FIR filter tabs are. They are no seperate signals, but just coefficients that are used with multiplication and delay (just to put it very simple just now), to create a filter.

The higher the frequency, the less tabs you need, meaning less delay. And also the higher sampling will help here, since it means you can process more tabs in the same time, resulting in less passband ripple. So it actually is a balace between speed, delay and quality.

The three filter in series will have not more or less delay than a single filter with about the same resulting response. It will however takes mess memory, since you can use three smaller tabs, and not one larger one I guess. But I also guess, that not all DAC's will use a three stage filter.

About the delay beeing audible: it's not of course, since there is no phase variation in the filter the delay is exactly the same at every frequency, and for both channels. There is no way you'll hear it. It's as if you would play the CD a few ms later that you inteded to do.

@Nemophyle: don't argue with rfbrw. You have been arround for even a shorter time than I did. you couldn't possibly know what you are talking about :D ;)

If you don't use a tap's output, you effectively set that tap to zero.

Yes, one could just build a filter using many DACs being fed digital signals with appropriate delays applied to the inputs. And select difering sized summing resistors to create the tap weighting. Nobody does that, it's much cheaper and more accurate to upsample the digital audio and digitally filter that and then feed it to a higher percision 18 or 20 bit DAC. You'd still need the 8x or such system clock anyway, to provide the delays in my first circuit above. You just select a higher frequency crystal oscillator and use flip-flops to divide it down (very low jitter, not like PLLs).

I've forgotten why oversampling is considered bad anyway...:confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.