Apple Airport Express - How to Add Coax Output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an Apple Airport Express and would like to modify it to convert its Toslink output to a coaxial output (preferably a BNC connector). I am new to this kind of modification, and was wondering if anyone has seen or could provide step by step instructions on how to accomplish something like this.

Thanks,
Matt.

The Airport Express uses a PCM2704 DAC and feeds the usual TOTX transmitter. The problems with adding a coax output are twofold.

The worst is getting into the shell. It is ultrasonically welded and those people that have managed to disassemble it have done so by destroying the shell.

Secondly, if you do get in, it is very tight. There is really no space to add a BNC connector, or the additional bits needed to create a good quality matched feed.

Your are probabaly best off simply investing in one of the optical to coax converters - although that will leave you with a pretty poor quality S/PDIF feed due to the vagaries in the implementation of the converer.

For your information, i have seen a kind of kits allowing a coax to an airport, (in fact my quest, would be to add a coax to an Apple mac mini)

Please feel free to look at :http://db-system.ms/frame-airport.html

the guy, Dan was previously Wadia and Meridian importator from France for years. so i guess the realization is serious.
I would like to have your opignon about it eventhough the look is uggly, he could have put it in a mac mini disc box ...
rgds,
LOXO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.