What to do with Denon DCD-560

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, my appetite grew up since I bought Sennheiser HD 595 headphones, :D so, I really need to change something with the sound of my cd player Denon DCD-560.

What should I do:
1) Put it away and buy something better (the least possible option)
2) Do modification of line out (changing OPA RC4558P to something decent)
3) Implement (somehow) digital out and build high quality DA converter.

Third option looks like best solution, but I can not find datasheet for SM5818AP, and do not know where I should steal digital signal from.

Well, here is photo attached of output stage of this CD player, so please take a look and give me some suggestions…

Attachments

• denon dcd-560 out-small2.jpg
    denon dcd-560 out-small2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,170
velicko said:
Well, my appetite grew up since I bought Sennheiser HD 595 headphones, :D so, I really need to change something with the sound of my cd player Denon DCD-560.

What should I do:
1) Put it away and buy something better (the least possible option)
2) Do modification of line out (changing OPA RC4558P to something decent)
3) Implement (somehow) digital out and build high quality DA converter.

Third option looks like best solution, but I can not find datasheet for SM5818AP, and do not know where I should steal digital signal from.

Well, here is photo attached of output stage of this CD player, so please take a look and give me some suggestions…

Is there really not a digital out coaxial or optical on that machine???:confused:
The OPA RC4558P can be replaced by NE5532AN/AP. If you want to try OPA2134 you should mount decoupling caps and other things may be needed to make it work at its best.

Is there really not a digital out coaxial or optical on that machine???

No, unfortunately there is not any kind of digital out on this CD player. :(

For the beginning I’ll try to change RC4558P to some Burr Brown OPA, but some friends will help me build high quality DAC (maybe dddac1543mk2), so in near future I'll need to find (anyhow) the way to extract digital signal from this machine, or I’ll have to change it to something else…

guytou said:
there is a possibility of SPDIF out with a lot of Sony DSP , for example CXD 2500 .Is there this one on your CDP ? ( seems like DCD 660/860 , except the digital filter) .
look at the chip before the NPC 58... .

There are two Sony chips on the lower left side of the board:
CXA1372S and CXA1081 ,
here is a photo...

Can this help?

Attachments

• denon dcd-560 sony.jpg
    denon dcd-560 sony.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 736
Hi Velicko,

why dont you read some of the threads on modding cd players.
This player uses BB PCM61 X 2. Highly sought after dacs in some circles.
Add a clock, new op amps and maybe a new transformer, power supplies and good caps will make this a pretty decent little cd.

seeya Arthur

Luke said:
Hi Velicko,

why dont you read some of the threads on modding cd players.
This player uses BB PCM61 X 2. Highly sought after dacs in some circles.
Add a clock, new op amps and maybe a new transformer, power supplies and good caps will make this a pretty decent little cd.

seeya Arthur

I really do read much, but since I am not experienced enough, I wanted suggestions from the community.

I have several good friends that can build any electronic device I need in very short time, but they are not much in high end audio business.. So I must explore alone, which I have to admit is more than interesting…

Anyway thanks.

:goodbad:

wa2ise said:
I hacked a machine similar to yours, mine uses the PCM61P DAC chips like yours. Seemy page on modifying CD players with tubes

Thanks for good link... :) I'll go reading at the moment...

I can rather easily get E88CC, 6DJ8, 6111, 6SN7 and 12SN7 for reasonable price here...

I'll make same searching, just to check what would be the best choice for this purpose...

At the moment, modding of this CD looks easier than implementing any kind of digital out and building external DAC...

but external DAC still looks like better investment, because it can be used in the future with any new CD player I eventually buy....
:confused:

searching the DSP ...

Hi velicko , the M 50957 could be the decoder , but datasheet of these chips are not easily available . You would have to search it .
Otherwise , I see from the pic that there another chip soldered on the down side of the PCB , where the quartz is (the little metal piece)..This one could be .

Re: searching the DSP ...

guytou said:
Hi velicko , the M 50957 could be the decoder , but datasheet of these chips are not easily available . You would have to search it .
Otherwise , I see from the pic that there another chip soldered on the down side of the PCB , where the quartz is (the little metal piece)..This one could be .

I found it... link is:
M50957 Datasheet

Sorry, I can not upload it. It's about 1.3MB...

But, I still do not know what to read from datasheet...

wa2ise said:
I hacked a machine similar to yours, mine uses the PCM61P DAC chips like yours. Seemy page on modifying CD players with tubes

wa2ise, I decided to try implementing your schematics with 2 x 6111 tubes, taking outputs from pin 13 of PCM61P and adding resistors to pins 9 and 11.

I only miss transformer, I hope that will be found during weekend.

I am also not sure that I will correctly implement line to headphone circuit... It is very important to me because I wanted to make modification because of buying new Sennheiser headphones.

Btw, and off topic… I can not describe how good HD595 sounds… :D

I hope that this line out will be good source for some headphone amp I will build. :D

guytou said:
allright , the m50 ... is the microcomputer , not the decoder (DSP) . So you would have to unscrew the PCB and turn it to see the ref of the CMS chip soldered on the other side ... except if you could find the service manual or shematics of that player .

OK, I decided not to do anything with this Denon... (I am modifying some newer Philips CD now), but not to let this thread unfinished,
I unscrewed the PCB...

The microchip is Sony CXD2500Q.

Maybe this will be of any help to anybody in the future...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.