CD104 - Useful Servicing Tips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

The Philips CD104 and its various cousins eg CD304, B&O CD-X etc are, judging by the posts, very popular. I have around 6 in various guises myself.

But, as everyone knows, they are prone to faults !!!!

So, I decided to start this thread as a way of posting FIXES for faults or Service guides such as the ones from the magazine.

If you have a tip or hint to pass on to others, post away.

If you have a query, read the posts but post your query else-where, please, so that this does not become a discussion page etc.

Please post in the form of :-

Problem or Symptoms

Cure

or post a pdf etc of an article / service guide

Here is an article from Television magazine

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=31374

Andy

Service Tip

another from Television

Attachments

• cd104 problem.jpg
    cd104 problem.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 299
Player does not read the Table Of Contents (TOC)

This is the classic problem where either the TOC cannot be read ever, or sometimes it can only be read after a warm up.

Well I have just managed to fix the classic problem of not reading the TOC when a disc is inserted. I fixed it following the good advice of many contributors to this forum, inc poynton. I resoldered all the through board connections on both the servo & decoder boards.

On the servo there are 2 griplet connections , the rest are wire links or axial caps.

On the decoder board it's mostly griplets around 10 in total

In each case I removed as much of the original solder as I could with a solder sucker.

For wire or cap connections I just resoldered. Where griplets (tiny rivet like devices pushed through a small hole then soldered on either side) were used , I drilled a tiny (0.5mm) hole through each griplet, just thin enough to thread a length of tinned wire through. I then soldered this on the both sides. On the copper side I bent the wire down and made sure there was approx 5mm of wire soldered to the copper.

I put it all back together and it read the TOC frst time and I'm listening to it now.

It was fiddly and I half expected the player to not even work afterward, but I was careful , and I knew I was standing on the shoulders of giants i.e the good advice of dozens who all suggest, nay, mandate this fix.

Thanks to all. Lets hope it keeps working ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.