diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/)
-   -   CD104 - Useful Servicing Tips (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/74392-cd104-useful-servicing-tips.html)

poynton 20th February 2006 11:16 AM

CD104 - Useful Servicing Tips
 
Hi.

The Philips CD104 and its various cousins eg CD304, B&O CD-X etc are, judging by the posts, very popular. I have around 6 in various guises myself.

But, as everyone knows, they are prone to faults !!!!

So, I decided to start this thread as a way of posting FIXES for faults or Service guides such as the ones from the magazine.

If you have a tip or hint to pass on to others, post away.

If you have a query, read the posts but post your query else-where, please, so that this does not become a discussion page etc.

Please post in the form of :-

Problem or Symptoms
......

Cure
.....

or post a pdf etc of an article / service guide

Here is an article from Television magazine

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=31374


Andy

poynton 20th February 2006 11:51 AM

Service Tip
 
2 Attachment(s)
another from Television

jives11 20th February 2006 03:03 PM

Player does not read the Table Of Contents (TOC)
 
This is the classic problem where either the TOC cannot be read ever, or sometimes it can only be read after a warm up.

Well I have just managed to fix the classic problem of not reading the TOC when a disc is inserted. I fixed it following the good advice of many contributors to this forum, inc poynton. I resoldered all the through board connections on both the servo & decoder boards.

On the servo there are 2 griplet connections , the rest are wire links or axial caps.

On the decoder board it's mostly griplets around 10 in total

In each case I removed as much of the original solder as I could with a solder sucker.

For wire or cap connections I just resoldered. Where griplets (tiny rivet like devices pushed through a small hole then soldered on either side) were used , I drilled a tiny (0.5mm) hole through each griplet, just thin enough to thread a length of tinned wire through. I then soldered this on the both sides. On the copper side I bent the wire down and made sure there was approx 5mm of wire soldered to the copper.

I put it all back together and it read the TOC frst time and I'm listening to it now.

It was fiddly and I half expected the player to not even work afterward, but I was careful , and I knew I was standing on the shoulders of giants i.e the good advice of dozens who all suggest, nay, mandate this fix.


Thanks to all. Lets hope it keeps working ;)


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:17 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2