Buzz in my Pioneer Elite PD-59 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2002, 01:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Buzz in my Pioneer Elite PD-59

I just purchased a used Pioneer Elite PD-59 CD player. I have great intentions to modify it and make it a stellar transport. Unfortunatly the unit has a buzz.

I have my amp and DVD player plugged into one outlet and the TV, tuner, VCR, and Pioneer plugged into another. The power cord on the Pioneer is not long enough to reach the amp and DVD outlet. I tried plugging it straight into the wall and into a power strip. The power cord is soldered directly to the PCB. I am using the analog outs since I do not have a DAC.

The buzzing sound is present wether I use the disc or cd inputs to the amp. Of course it changes with volume since it comes from the disc player and the Pioneer is the only component that makes this sound. And last, my more sensitive cables revealed the buzz more, making it louder than the music. My cheaper cables reduced the buzz volume.

Please help this newbie.
Old 8th November 2002, 02:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default update

The original owner says he used the digital out only and never heard a buzz.

Second, I failed to mention my house is 40 years old and has a two wire system. Some of the wiring is new, like the outlet I connect my amp and DVD player to, but it is all two wire. I had the outlets swtiched to three prong and the electrician hard-wired the ground and neutral.
Old 8th November 2002, 06:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default stil need help

I still need suggestions on finding the source of the buzz and eliminating it. Any ideas?
Old 8th November 2002, 08:38 PM   #4
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
Try decoupling the ground of your signal wire at the receiving end. Connect the cable shield to ground through a small (~1µF or 0.1µF) ceramic capacitor.
Old 8th November 2002, 08:44 PM   #5
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

Curban,

Check to see that ground on the RCA outputs on is not broken on the pc board.

Jam
Old 12th November 2002, 04:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default update 2

I got the buzzing to stop! But I am a little concerned...

I did not try the capacitor suggestion since I don't have any and the ground was connected to the pcb ok.

I have two outlets that are both on the same circuit. One has newer wire than the other. I have a TV, VCR, DVD, Gamecube, CD player, and amp. Regardless of which components were plugged into which outlet, I got hum when the CD player was plugged into the amp with either the VCR or DVD player plugged in as well.

All of my equipment is two wire, including the amp. The CD player was the only one with a three wire plug. I think this was installed to replace the stock cord. I floated the ground from the power cord and the hum disappeared. The laser/servo mechanism has a wire running to the chasis already.

I have three concerns:

1. Why does my equipment use two wire systems? Where is the chasis ground?
2. Is floating the ground dangerous? The laser/servo is grounded to the chasis...
3. Where did the hum come from? Is it because the component had two chasis grounds?

Hide this!Advertise here!