Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2006, 03:13 AM   #1
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
Default Q's about modding cd players

so, another project is coming to a close, and im looking to the next project to make my system just one step better...

currently im using a denon dvd-3910 for a source (for cd, dvd's, sacds and dvda's). it sounds alright, but not the best ive heard. normally i would just upgrade it, but money is tight lately, so i have to deal with what i have.

i see a lot of people modding players on here. also, the dvd-3910 is pretty heavily modded on the audiophile arena with supposedly great results. so, its got potential. but, i have a few questions...

1.) currently im using it as a transport. i use the digital out and use the DAC in my processor. the processor has better DACs and it sounds better that way. if i mod the unit, would i then use analog out and use the DAC's in the player? is that basically what im modding, the DACs?

2.) what kind of performance increase can i expect in general? it supposedly has burr-brown 24/196 dacs already. can i replace the opamps, some caps, and some resistors and expect a noticable improvement?

3.) in regards to #2, how much would i have to modify to get it to sound good? changing out opamps and some caps is easy enough, but modding the power supply, or making an external supply is harder. im not very good with electronics design or schematics. i can really just replace parts, but cant design new circuits.

4.) from what ive read, it seems upgrading opamps is the first step (maybe clock, etc... later). are there any favorites, or do i just have to listen to different ones? i see the popular ones are AD8620 and the OPA627. i would need 4 of them for a 2-ch upgrade, which isnt TOO expensive. are there some good ones for cheap, or are all the good ones going to be pricey?

so, thats really it. i just want to get an idea of what i can expect, and i want to know what i would be in for. there are a lot of places that mode these exact units, and charge quite a bit for it. they charge almost what the unit is worth new, for what seems to be a couple hundred dollars of parts (maybe $300 for all the bits). i have a list of everything they do, so i just have to emulate that

any ideas?
Old 17th February 2006, 10:00 AM   #2
klitgt is offline klitgt  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Q's about modding cd players

Quote:
Originally posted by cowanrg

4.) from what ive read, it seems upgrading opamps is the first step (maybe clock, etc... later). are there any favorites, or do i just have to listen to different ones? i see the popular ones are AD8620 and the OPA627. i would need 4 of them for a 2-ch upgrade, which isnt TOO expensive. are there some good ones for cheap, or are all the good ones going to be pricey?

AD8620 is dual and accepts max +/-13.65V supply.
OPA627 is single and accepts max. +/- 18V supply.

The AD8610 is single and should be considered if the default pin layout at the PCB is for single opamps AND the supply rails are +/-12V.
If the supply is +/-15V you should go for the OPA627 if the layout supports single opamps.
In case the layout is for dual opamps the OPA2134 (max. +/-18V supply) is the one that has received most credit IMO.
Old 18th February 2006, 02:56 AM   #3
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
great, thanks.

i guess ill have to see whats in there now to see what kinda voltage they are being supplied, and if they are dual or single.

Hide this!Advertise here!