noob/ish help needed 4 cd rom/player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi guys, first post on digital but ive been looking at some of the posts on cd roms as cd players.

my question is, can i do it without the pic or other micro controlers??

i remember back to lessons at college that bus instuctions can be by hard wired switch networks at logic or other voltages.

and the other way round info can be displayed by led matrix, via votage/current corection.

so if i need, play, pause, stop, track forward, track back
and, track no. by 2 x 7 segment led (pos 1 x 7 seg led and 1 x single led, not many cd's have more than 19 tracks) and a pause led

so, is it possible? if yes how??
if not is there a simpler way with micro controlers? or does anyone want to buy 34 matsushita cd rom drives LOL...

cheers for the help and/or suggestions, steve.. ..

There are too many registers to allow for direct access. There would too many pins. Though you could do away with a microcontroller you would still need something that would rapidly come to resemble a very large and complex state machine and beyond a certain level of complexity one might as well use a microcontroller.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.