Making my own AES/EBU cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Source for Cables of all types

It's been a few years since I dealt with them, but I always had great cables from Clark Wire & Cable in the Chicago area. http://www.clarkwire.com/index.htm

When I was a chief engineer, I ordered quite a bit of cable from them. Very high quality stuff, and reasonable prices. If you called them, they often had odds and ends that you could get to play with. And, they have some wild combo cables.

One thing I really liked about most of their cables was that they were flexible in cold weather. Back in the 90's they were about the only people who had that.

I also want to make a DIY AES/EBU cable. I have some Neutrik nickel plated XLR's and Belden 1800F cable (110 Ohm). The finished cable will be 3 feet long only. Are these materials good enough or will I get much better results if I use expensive DH Labs Silver Sonic XLR's and DH Labs Silver Sonic D-110 cable? Is there really going to be a big difference or none at all for this short length of cable?

I honestly hope the difference, if any, is negligible, as I just want to get this done as soon as I can. ;)

No difference at all for almost any length of cable. Silver has a few percent better conductivity than copper, so that means that the maximum length of cable before the signal gets too weak for reliable data slicing will be a few percent longer if you use silver. This is in the hundreds of feet range.

At 3 feet you could probably get away with almost any cable of any type.

I also want to make a DIY AES/EBU cable.....
I honestly hope the difference, if any, is negligible, as I just want to get this done as soon as I can. ;)
Your 'materials at hand' DIY cable will work perfectly fine, go for it.

If you want to experiment, the teflon insulation of the SilverSonic cable is a good thing and is affordable.

Use XLR connectors of same material type as the gear you are connecting, even if this means different ends and use lead free solder.

Dan.

Hi,I'm actualy use VdH D102 mk III ,with Neutrik balanced connectors and works very well,between my Arc CD1 as transport and M2tech Young Dac.
I bought two of these some time ago as interconects XLR cables,but then try one as digital and works fine,much better than coax .

Ciao Paolo

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Funny. I have a couple of Neutrik AES to coax inline transformers that I use for getting SPDIF coax into AES inputs. Somewhere I read that they were handy because coax is so much better for long cable runs than twisted pair. :scratch: Still haven't figure that one out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.