Combining digital Coax Signals

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm so far in over my head on this...
I have two audio sources and one input destination. I think in theory it i think it should be possible to reverse a Y splitter and feed both Digital Coax signals into the single destination resulting in a "merged" sound.

I fear a few things...that i won't get a merged sound but instead a kind of staticy white noice; That the input signals will in some way overload the recieving item; that ther is no standard for the polarity of digital coax outputs and that i'll jsut create a circuit and burn something out.

Would you guys mind giving me some thoughts on expected results as well as a means of accomplishing the underlying goal of getting two sources into one place without having to manually switch them.

thanks

Darkeyce said:
I'm so far in over my head on this...
I have two audio sources and one input destination. I think in theory it i think it should be possible to reverse a Y splitter and feed both Digital Coax signals into the single destination resulting in a "merged" sound.

Not in theory and definitely not in practice. Digital signals cannot be combined in the same manner as analogue signals.

I fear a few things...that i won't get a merged sound but instead a kind of staticy white noice; That the input signals will in some way overload the recieving item; that ther is no standard for the polarity of digital coax outputs and that i'll jsut create a circuit and burn something out.
Would you guys mind giving me some thoughts on expected results as well as a means of accomplishing the underlying goal of getting two sources into one place without having to manually switch them.

thanks

No merged sound, just noise. If it is a case of automatically selecting the active feed, the front end, or a simplified version of it, of gmarsh's headphone amp will do. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59357&highlight=
If, OTOH, you want to mix two active feeds then you will need a digital mixer of some sort.

Argh...

Thanks for the clarification...now that you said it and i think about it a bit...merging two digital datastreams doesn't make much sense does it :)?

I'll need to find a simple digital mixer to handle the two active sources.

Thanks for the help...I'll resume lurking now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.