Is this all I need for the DCX2496 ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2006, 01:43 PM   #11
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi Will,

it is very cheap and it will save you an awful lot of time.

Without it you may give up modifying your active/passive crossover because of the work involved in each change and the apparent complexity of interacting components muddying the conclusions, if you can see/hear any.

At the end it becomes available for re-sale or used on your next project or modified to bring it up to a suitable quality for your ears.

Buy one and try it out.
Old 11th February 2006, 01:59 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Will
I guess that's where the DEQX comes in at a whooping $3.6K to solve all this dilemma ? [/B]
Only if you feel the rest of your system justifies it. There's other routes to take that offer far better quality than DCX though. Its up to you to reseach and identify suitable solutions.

If like you've said you really do want a 'last' system then DCX won't fit the bill but you could buy one then prototype with it and build up some analogue active XO/EQ PCB's with high quality op-amps, resistors and capacitors.

There's also the PC XO method with FIR filters which may or may not be suitable, I've had plenty of troubles with that route and its not something I'd recommend unless you like experimenting for months on end. I've had some small distortion troubles that I'm pretty sure aren't limited to the filtering but to the PC and sound interface. It can be rewarding but at the same time, be prepared for a fair amount of work to get the very best from it. That said, even on a bad day my PC XO setup wipes the floor with the DCX.
Old 11th February 2006, 02:01 PM   #13
Will is offline Will  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
Hi Will,

it is very cheap and it will save you an awful lot of time.

Without it you may give up modifying your active/passive crossover because of the work involved in each change and the apparent complexity of interacting components muddying the conclusions, if you can see/hear any.

At the end it becomes available for re-sale or used on your next project or modified to bring it up to a suitable quality for your ears.

Buy one and try it out.

Thanks for the encouragement. OTOH do you have any experience with the driverack 260? There is a forrumer (I can't remember) who is using it with good success but it seems nobody ever mention driverack. How's it for an audiophile tool ? To be honest I'm getting to a point where I just wanna enjoy maximum sound quality without having to tweak electronics massively (like changing the SMT opamps in the DCX and an awful lot more of upgrades). I'm tired...
Old 11th February 2006, 03:50 PM   #14
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do you adjust the parametric filtering by ears or with a measuring equipment? If it's the latter then I might run into problems as I do not have that. That's why I was hoping the DCX could do it. Otherwise I might have to consider the DBX pro instead. I got feedback that it retails for $1299. That's a lot of money compared to the DCX. What do you think ?
I understand that the Behringer DEQ2496 will auto-eq and has more processor power than the DCX2496. With both units, you have a lot of capability for about $600.

I have been tuning using published response graphs, theory and listening to date. I have a copy of SoundEasy, a Mic and a UB802 mixer. I am going to start measuring my work.

I must be less discriminating than some. I have found the DCX to be very neutral. Also, I have never had to apply more than 4 filters, so processing power has not really been an issue for me.
YMMV.

Doug
Old 12th February 2006, 06:02 AM   #15
Will is offline Will  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DougL

I understand that the Behringer DEQ2496 will auto-eq and has more processor power than the DCX2496. With both units, you have a lot of capability for about $600.

I have been tuning using published response graphs, theory and listening to date. I have a copy of SoundEasy, a Mic and a UB802 mixer. I am going to start measuring my work.

I must be less discriminating than some. I have found the DCX to be very neutral. Also, I have never had to apply more than 4 filters, so processing power has not really been an issue for me.
YMMV.

Doug

With the setup on open baffle you mentioned earlier, do you get the transparency like no other boxed speaker does ? What about the tonality of the overall picture ? Do you get a feeling of clinical treble or was it just right ?
Old 12th February 2006, 11:36 PM   #16
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is the thread I started for my project.

Wide-band Dipole Project

I showed the prototypes @ DiyChicago and they were very well received. One comment was "crazy good"

Quote:
With the setup on open baffle you mentioned earlier, do you get the transparency like no other boxed speaker does ? What about the tonality of the overall picture ? Do you get a feeling of clinical treble or was it just right ?
Open baffle speakers do sound "open" and these are no exception.
With the DCX, I can change the tonality in a couple of minutes.
The tweeters are very musical, and sound a bit like electrostatic tweeters.
Again YMMV

Doug
Old 24th November 2007, 11:41 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
I would suggest you use DCX as a tool to help balance out your final system and then reproduce the crossover and equalisation in either discrete or quality opamp PCBs, probably located inside each dedicated monoblock.
Andrew, can I find an example of something like this? I tried to search the forum but couldn't find anything. Thanks.
Old 25th November 2007, 07:30 AM   #18
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by okayfine
can I find an example of something like this? I tried to search the forum but couldn't find anything.
There have been a few Group buys for filter/equalisation PCBs in the recent past. All are now closed.
It might be worth pulling up those threads and asking if there are any spares available.
These were very well documented and the PDFs are available on selecting suitable component values and have all the design calculations for the various equalisations that the circuits can produce.

There is also a current thread on a filtered chipamp and the starter has just posted an OK on the result. Again, ask & ye shall obtain the info.

Hide this!Advertise here!