Upgrade for my DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my new DAC, it uses AD1892 and AD1865N-J, the schematic is attached.

I found it as a kit, I didn't build it myself, and I need help in order to get it started/working.

First, the input, it's not a BNC/RCA connector, there are 2 pins. I intend to use it with a CD-ROM, the distance between the two will be < 5 cm, what's the best solution for connecting the digital output of the CD-ROM to the 2 pins on the input of the DAC?
Should I remove the 2 pins and put a BNC connector in place, or just use coax cable, and solder the wires on the pcb directly?

The caps on the output, the I/V stage, are no-name, should I change then with WIMA caps, will there be an improvment?

The PSU is built-in, it uses 7505, 7912 and 7812, should I "by pass" it with my own power supply?

The DAC also has I2S input, will it sound better on I2S from the USB port and then a TI chip - like PCM2902, or with SPDIF?

Any suggestions are wellcomed

Attachments

• dac.pdf
    29.9 KB · Views: 193
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The 2 pins are the SPDIF input most probably. You connect a BNC or RCA connectors yourself. just 2 wires, the pins you can leave. More easy to solder :)

Output caps always improve the sound when better quality is used. Wima is better, Auricap or Mundorf are even more better etc etc etc. Matter of taste as well..... but for sure do this

I would get the dac work first with the other tweaks. Otherwise you better built a totaly new one...

I2S input is GREAT !! you can use now an USB to I2S converter or an other (reclocked) SPDIF receiver. On my DIY Website you can read of DIY solutions for this you can vuilt yourself. Circuits are also there.

I prefer the USB input

good luck

doede

The output caps are 100uF, electrolytic, in parallel with a 100nF SMD cap.
Sould I keep an electrolytic cap here, but use a Sanyo OS-CON, or use a MKP cap?

Are there any significant differences between AD1865NJ and NK?

Also, the input caps - C9/10 are SMD, can I do better?

Thank you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.