Accurate <100 ppm HV49 crystal??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
> Most of my high end audio had been bought at very good prices in HK. It was heaven for dCS!!

Same here.

But I would hesistate these days to pay $100 for a bag of Oscons. You never know whether they are fakes. And Farnell HK is a rip off.

Those good old days at Ap Liu Street. Aren't we all getting old !!!

These days I buy most stuff from Farnell, Schuricht or Digikey Europe. Reichelt is great with prices but you never know what you get. Especially their so called Japanese transistors. Anything but original.

Sorry guys for being off topic. Couldn't resist the temptation.

Patrick

EUVL said:
Ap Liu St is no longer the same as 10 years ago.
I was so disappointed when I went last year.

I think if you know dealer, you can still get almost everything, but people are no longer interested in building things from components. Most stores these days only sell mobile phones or LED torches or batteries, rather than transistors or resistors or what not.

Rather spend the time to make money -- reality in South East Asia.

Patrick

JohnW said:
Hi Patrick,

You know your so right, I was going to say the very same - still I bought one of those Cheap RC helicopters for my Son last month...

There was also a Guy with BAGS full of Oscon's Caps for like HS$100!!

John

Come on guys !
Rather spend time to make money, than DIY.....
Yes, it is reality here and also in Europe and US.
But it does not keep me from DIYing things, which give me satisfaction and recreation during DIY.
Saving money is not the real intension of DIYing your audio stuff !
If saving money & making money would be our only goals, then we would have to chase off our girl friends (or wifes), stop going for holidays, stop meeting with friends, eating rice only... (and of course quit internet connection :apathic: )

BTW:
Where are the best places to buy electronic components in HK (Ap Liu St. ? ) and GuangZhou ? I am still a greenhorn here in my new home area....

ChocoHolic,

In HK Ap Liu Street is still the best area - in GuangZhou "WE" :) will find out soon....

It’s rare I visit these places these days - they where always fun to visit - you realize your getting old when you find your own designs sold in the second hand market....

There used to be a shop at the end of Ap Liu Street that had one of my designs, the Audio Innovations CD player (the one that looked like a silver UFO) in its window, the guy would never sell it - he used it to attract people into his shop...

John

JohnW said:
ChocoHolic,

In HK Ap Liu Street is still the best area - in GuangZhou "WE" :) will find out soon....

It’s rare I visit these places these days - they where always fun to visit - you realize your getting old when you find your own designs sold in the second hand market....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The upstairs shops in the dingy buildings still sell the same useful stuff. You can still buy a full range of teflon silver coated cables at reasonable prices. There are still plenty of component shops scattered in Mongkok. The 2T building has 20 floors of new and used hifi, and the building next to Mong Kok HiFi still sells many items in the basement and on the 2 and 3rd floow upstairs. Some of these are in difficult to find buildings and you need someone local and knowlegeable to show you if you are not a regular.

Not as good as before as HK moves towards computers and games like everyone else. And shops are moving towards cables and accessories with high margins.

The Jongson range of Class A monoblocks from China have nicer cases than old Krell and sound very good. But HK is still the best place to buy SACDs and CDs at reasonable prices. Not DVDAs or Dual Discs though.

If I am in HK I shall be glad to show you.

PS Fred, where exactly can you get Teflon coated silver. Do you have the exact shop name? [/B][/QUOTE]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At least 5 of the electronics shops on Ap Liu St, plus many more in other places. There is a street vendor whio sells remnants at 1/3 price.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.