Loading on Marantz CD94 MkII - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2006, 12:15 PM   #1
ToshMcT is offline ToshMcT  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Loading on Marantz CD94 MkII

I've just bought an example of this classic on eBay. It plays perfectly and sounds fantastic - after some very expensive modern kit, I've yet to find anything that sounds more natural and entertaining...

Anyhow - back to the point...

To load a CD, you need to press the play button and give the drawer a helping hand to close. It then rattles around for a bit, before flashing DISC and reading the TOC.

To repair it, do I need to replace the belts, lubricate the mechanism, replace the laser, replace the whole CDM1 mechanism? Or what??

I've searched the forum and seen all of these solutions mentioned, but not specifically in relation to a loading problem.

(I'm a newbie - in case you hadn't guessed. It's great to a have found this place. I knew I wasn't the only geek in the world...)
Old 4th February 2006, 07:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Just replace the loading mechanism belts. Be careful not to bend the approx 150mm long glide axis - cradle guide.

Good luck,

Extreme_Boky
Old 4th February 2006, 08:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The belts seem to be a common problem with that unit, I had to replace them already twice, especially after a period of not using it for a while. If you need a schematic, send me an e-mail.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 4th February 2006, 11:01 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
The belts seem to be a common problem with that unit, I had to replace them already twice, especially after a period of not using it for a while. If you need a schematic, send me an e-mail.
Peter, rubber belts don't last long, it's normal to have to change them regularly.
Depends very much on the type of belt and the load it has to take on a specific mechanism, and it can even depend on the climate on your area...
They also tend to have 'memory' (I don't know how to explain this better in english...) when the device is not regularly used.
Can you think about a worse place to use a rubber belt than a turntable?
And then they say direct drive sucks...
Old 4th February 2006, 11:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default RUBBER BELTS

To get replacement belts cheap:

A bearing supply will carry a very large selection of O-rings
with a very large size range.

I have used them for CD carriage belts and a friend years ago used them to replace reel to reel tape drive belts. THey are generally neoprene which lasts longer than rubber as well as oil resistant and might be useful on other equipment.

Cheap and may even be free for one or two.
Old 9th February 2006, 07:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I've got a CD94 and I had to replace the belts as well. I used rubber drive bands but I agree that O rings will be much better. It's just in the UK there are limited to places you can buy them in small quantities. However if you have a BSL or WYKO near you they might stock them.

I've hit another snag. Sometimes when loading a CD I get an error and the draw opens again. Usually the 2nd time though it reads the disc OK.

I think its down to the large white plastic/nylon eccentric that moves the clamp. On the last part of the travel alot of torque is required to clamp the disc.

I'm going to lube it with moly and see if that helps.
Old 10th February 2006, 01:38 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I had the same problem,

Just use smaller diameter belts. I am not 100% sure if round x section rubber o rings are good choice. The belts should be rectangular x section - and give as much friction as possible - just check the plastic wheels' x-section.

Also, make sure that tray glides completely freely before you put any rubber bands / o rings.

And, don’t worry about extra torque the shorter rubber bands will give you – those wheels and supporting axes are 10X overdesigned.

Good luck,

Extreme_Boky
Old 10th February 2006, 07:17 AM   #8
Zoran is offline Zoran  Serbia
diyAudio Member

I still have the exsact the same problem
with a cd94...
Old 11th February 2006, 04:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The CD94 is a great machine despite it's age and 16bit dac. its built like a tank as well. However this is also one of it's problems. It's so heavy that the chassis can flex if it is not placed ona flat surface. This could potentially cause a loading tray problem.

I cleaned the loading mechanism up with alcohol and used some white grease to lubricate the races and guides. Mine seems fine now.

Many years ago I was repairing a cine projector. a drive belt had snapped. My local photography had metal drive bands. These were metal coils much like closely wound expansion springs but one end was tapered so it could be screwed into the the other end.

You just cut it to length joined the end and you were ready to rock.

Has anyone seen these things, I have never seen one since then. Being metal they would hopefully be a permanent solution.
Old 1st July 2010, 08:36 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

check out also this thread:
Help with Philips CD960

Hide this!Advertise here!