Loading on Marantz CD94 MkII

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just bought an example of this classic on eBay. It plays perfectly and sounds fantastic - after some very expensive modern kit, I've yet to find anything that sounds more natural and entertaining...

Anyhow - back to the point...

To load a CD, you need to press the play button and give the drawer a helping hand to close. It then rattles around for a bit, before flashing DISC and reading the TOC.

To repair it, do I need to replace the belts, lubricate the mechanism, replace the laser, replace the whole CDM1 mechanism? Or what??

I've searched the forum and seen all of these solutions mentioned, but not specifically in relation to a loading problem.

(I'm a newbie - in case you hadn't guessed. It's great to a have found this place. I knew I wasn't the only geek in the world...):D

Peter Daniel said:
The belts seem to be a common problem with that unit, I had to replace them already twice, especially after a period of not using it for a while. If you need a schematic, send me an e-mail.

Peter, rubber belts don't last long, it's normal to have to change them regularly.
Depends very much on the type of belt and the load it has to take on a specific mechanism, and it can even depend on the climate on your area...
They also tend to have 'memory' (I don't know how to explain this better in english...) when the device is not regularly used.
Can you think about a worse place to use a rubber belt than a turntable? :D
And then they say direct drive sucks... :rolleyes:

RUBBER BELTS

To get replacement belts cheap:

A bearing supply will carry a very large selection of O-rings
with a very large size range.

I have used them for CD carriage belts and a friend years ago used them to replace reel to reel tape drive belts. THey are generally neoprene which lasts longer than rubber as well as oil resistant and might be useful on other equipment.

Cheap and may even be free for one or two.

I've got a CD94 and I had to replace the belts as well. I used rubber drive bands but I agree that O rings will be much better. It's just in the UK there are limited to places you can buy them in small quantities. However if you have a BSL or WYKO near you they might stock them.

I've hit another snag. Sometimes when loading a CD I get an error and the draw opens again. Usually the 2nd time though it reads the disc OK.

I think its down to the large white plastic/nylon eccentric that moves the clamp. On the last part of the travel alot of torque is required to clamp the disc.

I'm going to lube it with moly and see if that helps.

I had the same problem,

Just use smaller diameter belts. I am not 100% sure if round x section rubber o rings are good choice. The belts should be rectangular x section - and give as much friction as possible - just check the plastic wheels' x-section.

Also, make sure that tray glides completely freely before you put any rubber bands / o rings.

And, don’t worry about extra torque the shorter rubber bands will give you – those wheels and supporting axes are 10X overdesigned.

Good luck,

Extreme_Boky

The CD94 is a great machine despite it's age and 16bit dac. its built like a tank as well. However this is also one of it's problems. It's so heavy that the chassis can flex if it is not placed ona flat surface. This could potentially cause a loading tray problem.

I cleaned the loading mechanism up with alcohol and used some white grease to lubricate the races and guides. Mine seems fine now.

Many years ago I was repairing a cine projector. a drive belt had snapped. My local photography had metal drive bands. These were metal coils much like closely wound expansion springs but one end was tapered so it could be screwed into the the other end.

You just cut it to length joined the end and you were ready to rock.

Has anyone seen these things, I have never seen one since then. Being metal they would hopefully be a permanent solution.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.