AD9540 is it an interesting device to clock DAC's? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2006, 06:05 PM   #1
Franz G is offline Franz G  Switzerland
diyAudio Member
 
Franz G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bern / Switzerland
Default AD9540 is it an interesting device to clock DAC's?

There seems to exist some new (?) offers from Analog Devices for low jitter clocks:

http://www.analog.com/en/subCat/0%2C...tml?ref=ASC091

Could the AD9540 be an interesting device to clock DAC's?

Franz
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2006, 06:50 PM   #2
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: As far from the NOSsers as possible
Let's see...........a DDS thingie that works on 1.8V, has PECL outputs, and comes in who-knows-what SM package that is probably not "DIY friendly". Gee, I dunno............

Jocko
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2006, 08:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
BlackCatSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
There are lots of these clock distribution chips around, very useful when dealing with high speed clocks.

But start with a bad clock, end with a bad clock. And at the low clock speeds dealt with in audio kit they are really not much use.

If you only ever plan to DIY with 0.1" DIPs and a single 5v supply you might as well give up now, the world has gone SMT.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2006, 08:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: .
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackCatSound
There are lots of these clock distribution chips around, very useful when dealing with high speed clocks.

But start with a bad clock, end with a bad clock. And at the low clock speeds dealt with in audio kit they are really not much use.

If you only ever plan to DIY with 0.1" DIPs and a single 5v supply you might as well give up now, the world has gone SMT.

Err, the AD9540 is a clock generator.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2006, 09:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
BlackCatSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
It still takes a clock in and needs a VCO to actually generate the frequency you want. Its not a standalone device.

The stability of the output will always be worse than the reference.

Either way an audio DAC does not need 2.7GHz. Useful for RF though, but personally I use the AD4153.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2006, 09:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: .
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackCatSound
It still takes a clock in and needs a VCO to actually generate the frequency you want. Its not a standalone device.
No, it is not a standalone device but it is not a clock distributor either. Nor does it have or need a VCO. It is a DDS-based clock generator.

Quote:

The stability of the output will always be worse than the reference.
If the wordlength of the accumulator is wide enough, such concerns become insignificant. Audiophile angst notwithstanding, the AD9540 is more than adequate for audio.

Quote:

Either way an audio DAC does not need 2.7GHz. Useful for RF though, but personally I use the AD4153.
Each to his own.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Analog Device clock distribution and generation, with 225fs jitter! Bricolo Digital Source 2 26th April 2005 01:22 PM
CS8412, PMD100, PCM63, onboard clock + [word] clock output implementation stolbovoy Digital Source 7 3rd December 2004 07:18 PM
Kwak clock versus Tent clock rbroer Digital Source 22 21st September 2003 01:20 PM
Interesting way to mount the clock Peter Daniel Digital Source 3 13th June 2003 03:57 AM
clock reshaper device for cd! richt Digital Source 10 5th July 2002 10:53 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:43 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2