Hidden clipping made visible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I accidentally found this website a few weeks ago and, curious to find out how my cd collection would stand the test, I can only confirm what the author wrote.
I ripped a few cd’s with EAC and imported them in CoolEdit.
Many tracks, all from different labels, artists, have clipped samples but don’t show up in the statistics window of Cooledit.
Zooming in, however, clearly shows many flatten tops.
CoolEdit’s clip restoration feature recommends to convert the data to 32bit and run the tool with certain parameters.
Doing so results in a frightening amount of clipped samples that can be brought back into range with the build in hard limiter.
The main question is why the clipping doesn’t show up in the stats window although the clipping is clearly present. A bug or do I overlook something?
Picture below of a 16 bit sample showing the clipped samples.

/Hugo

Attachments

• clip16bit.gif
    clip16bit.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 287
Netlist said:
I accidentally found this website a few weeks ago and, curious to find out how my cd collection would stand the test, I can only confirm what the author wrote.
I ripped a few cd’s with EAC and imported them in CoolEdit.
Many tracks, all from different labels, artists, have clipped samples but don’t show up in the statistics window of Cooledit.
Zooming in, however, clearly shows many flatten tops.
CoolEdit’s clip restoration feature recommends to convert the data to 32bit and run the tool with certain parameters.
Doing so results in a frightening amount of clipped samples that can be brought back into range with the build in hard limiter.
The main question is why the clipping doesn’t show up in the stats window although the clipping is clearly present. A bug or do I overlook something?
Picture below of a 16 bit sample showing the clipped samples.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have found this even on test CDs. This is why I always attenuate level by 1 to 3 dB

Thanks fmak.
I’m getting a grip on how things behave.
Somewhere along the line, that is the mastering or at my side the ripping process has hard limited the waveform to about -0.01db.
That is just below clipping and probably the reason why the bad samples are not detected.
If things went wrong while ripping the track it can probably be fixed.
If an engineer did a bad job, shame on him.
Attenuating the signal doesn’t really help as the flat lines are not corrected in that process. Only converting the waveform to 32bit and restoring the samples seems to bring some relief. This practice leaves me with peaks of +6 to +8db sometimes. Attenuating the entire wave with –8db or a bit more looks like the best solution I can come up with for now.

/Hugo

BlackCatSound said:
You can't restore it as you don't know whats gone missing.
Indeed, like every restoration, the result is only an estimation of what once was there.

As the stats show the peak values at 32392 and -32393 these are still within the limits of 16bit PCM. The signal was clipped before it was mastered.
Correct, that's what I found out yesterday. I don’t have to blame EAC.

/Hugo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.