Upgrading Theta Digital DSPro Prime IIa (w/board pic!) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2006, 08:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Upgrading Theta Digital DSPro Prime IIa (w/board pic!)

I'm thinking about getting into the whole modding thing, and starting with this DAC, which isn't currently being used. As a first step, I took off the cover, and snapped a pic:

http://static.flickr.com/24/91887326_b027eb807e_b.jpg

Right away, I noticed there is a CS8412-CP chip in there and a couple Burr-Brown PCM67P chips. There are also several Nichicon caps. As you can see, it is a balanced design. Well, any thoughts/advice for me?
Old 28th January 2006, 02:22 PM   #2
tubenut is offline tubenut  South Africa
diyAudio Member

First thing I would do and did to my DS Pro Basic II is to change the probably nasty bridge rectifiers (not shown on your pic) to high speed soft recovery types.

Next economical step is to get some oscons to replace the nichicons on the digital chips. I did the DACS first.

After that it gets trickier but Elna cerafine and black gates are better then the nichicons so I would upgrade the ones around the op amps next.

Have you ever listended to your DAC with the mains earth (pin) lifted/floating? That may be the single biggest sound improvement on a Theta DAC....
Old 28th January 2006, 02:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by tubenut
Have you ever listended to your DAC with the mains earth (pin) lifted/floating? That may be the single biggest sound improvement on a Theta DAC....
And also one of the most stupid things to suggest. Safety earths are there for a reason.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!