Upgrading Theta Digital DSPro Prime IIa (w/board pic!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking about getting into the whole modding thing, and starting with this DAC, which isn't currently being used. As a first step, I took off the cover, and snapped a pic:

http://static.flickr.com/24/91887326_b027eb807e_b.jpg

Right away, I noticed there is a CS8412-CP chip in there and a couple Burr-Brown PCM67P chips. There are also several Nichicon caps. As you can see, it is a balanced design. Well, any thoughts/advice for me?

First thing I would do and did to my DS Pro Basic II is to change the probably nasty bridge rectifiers (not shown on your pic) to high speed soft recovery types.

Next economical step is to get some oscons to replace the nichicons on the digital chips. I did the DACS first.

After that it gets trickier but Elna cerafine and black gates are better then the nichicons so I would upgrade the ones around the op amps next.

Have you ever listended to your DAC with the mains earth (pin) lifted/floating? That may be the single biggest sound improvement on a Theta DAC....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.