What is in a Marantz CD5001 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2006, 08:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What is in a Marantz CD5001

I am in the market for a new player and witha very limited choice, can get the CD5001. Does anybody know what transport and DAC this uses. How tweakable is it?
Old 27th January 2006, 09:55 AM   #2
adinica is offline adinica  Romania
diyAudio Member

HI!
The cd transport is a KSS-213C from Sony, the dac is cs4392 from Crystal and the op-amps are njm2068 and njm2114 in the OSE version. So, no HDAM, it looks identical to the cd5400 on paper.
Old 27th January 2006, 10:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Great a Sony, I have just gone through a CD63SE and a CD6000 OSE because of the Philips transports failing

HDAMs are a marketing gimmick and to work well needed a proper dual FET on the input which I believe was not used on the CD6000.
One reason for the low price, but upgrading the opamps is easy.

The CS4392 is quite old but spec not bad, "low clock jitter sensitivity" - is this a multibit delta sigma?

What is the PCB like? - does it have a ground plane? - essential for adding a proper clock
Old 29th January 2006, 12:25 AM   #4
adinica is offline adinica  Romania
diyAudio Member

Sorry, i don't know if it have a ground plane, i don't have the schematics.
I have a 5 year old cd67se and the cdm12.1 transport works as it does in the first day.
By contrary, i had a Sony cdp-xb740 cd player with kss-213b transport which failed after 1 month of use.
Old 2nd May 2006, 06:45 AM   #5
effindi is offline effindi  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I am using CD63 SE for 6 years now and is having problem with the player recently. It fails to read any disk. I need to open and close it a few times, before it began to read. Sometimes, it will just stop reading while playing track 9 or 10. Frustrated with it and not sure how to get it fix, I finally got the CD5001.

I think it is a level better than the 63. The sound is more open and I think the main difference is in the detail. It is crispier..I can hear groups vocals as several individual rather than a lump of group singing together. That goes for instrument as well.. little percussions have a more defined notes.

The next noticeable difference is in the lower end.. bass have more authority than before. Vocals remains nice and not too forward as in 63 which makes listening less fatique.

Overall, it liven up the whole system with further extension in both ends and feels like a flat reponse throughout. Soundstage is good and vocals always are spot on in the middle.

On the down side, there is no volume control in this one and the remote do not have an eject button! I find it really strange.

Overall happy with this one and end up a happier 63 SE migrator.

My system consists of CX4 tube pre-amp, EL 34 power amp and a single driver full range Fostex 167E speaker in ML-TL design.
Old 2nd May 2006, 07:38 AM   #6
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally posted by effindi
Hi,

I am using CD63 SE for 6 years now and is having problem with the player recently. It fails to read any disk. I need to open and close it a few times, before it began to read. Sometimes, it will just stop reading while playing track 9 or 10. .

Clean ALL the grease of the gears and do not regrease. It is a common problem !

Hide this!Advertise here!