What is in a Marantz CD5001

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Great a Sony, I have just gone through a CD63SE and a CD6000 OSE because of the Philips transports failing

HDAMs are a marketing gimmick and to work well needed a proper dual FET on the input which I believe was not used on the CD6000.
One reason for the low price, but upgrading the opamps is easy.

The CS4392 is quite old but spec not bad, "low clock jitter sensitivity" - is this a multibit delta sigma?

What is the PCB like? - does it have a ground plane? - essential for adding a proper clock

Sorry, i don't know if it have a ground plane, i don't have the schematics.
I have a 5 year old cd67se and the cdm12.1 transport works as it does in the first day.
By contrary, i had a Sony cdp-xb740 cd player with kss-213b transport which failed after 1 month of use.

Hi,

I am using CD63 SE for 6 years now and is having problem with the player recently. It fails to read any disk. I need to open and close it a few times, before it began to read. Sometimes, it will just stop reading while playing track 9 or 10. Frustrated with it and not sure how to get it fix, I finally got the CD5001.

I think it is a level better than the 63. The sound is more open and I think the main difference is in the detail. It is crispier..I can hear groups vocals as several individual rather than a lump of group singing together. That goes for instrument as well.. little percussions have a more defined notes.

The next noticeable difference is in the lower end.. bass have more authority than before. Vocals remains nice and not too forward as in 63 which makes listening less fatique.

Overall, it liven up the whole system with further extension in both ends and feels like a flat reponse throughout. Soundstage is good and vocals always are spot on in the middle.

On the down side, there is no volume control in this one and the remote do not have an eject button! I find it really strange.

Overall happy with this one and end up a happier 63 SE migrator.

My system consists of CX4 tube pre-amp, EL 34 power amp and a single driver full range Fostex 167E speaker in ML-TL design.

effindi said:
Hi,

I am using CD63 SE for 6 years now and is having problem with the player recently. It fails to read any disk. I need to open and close it a few times, before it began to read. Sometimes, it will just stop reading while playing track 9 or 10. .

Clean ALL the grease of the gears and do not regrease. It is a common problem !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.