Any good cheap old/new CDP's out there to act as Transport?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey,
I'm looking for a suitable transport to work with my Monica 2 Dac.
My Wharfedale DVD player isnt up to the job, and the 30seconds load time is irritating.

Are there any Cheap old/new CD Players out there that have a particularly good transport? The Phillips CD723 looks decent enough...

I'm not looking to mod yet, but it may be something I look at in the future.

Thanks

I dare somebody somebody smarter than me to answer this... basically because I have axed this question several times without to much response. So come on you old goats.. help a brotha' out.

My limited experience... have a Sony single player and a Pioneer 5 disk. just bought a Panasonic DVD $60 POS that I haven't tried out yet...

My favorite is an AOpen 32X out of a trash pile. Made a decent cable out of the "audio out" pins. Ugly, but I think it's the best sounding.

My $0.02

How do you control the CD-rom drive though?

I'm more looking for a pre-built unit..

I just sold my Arcam 7SE, which was good, but I felt I was wasting it using it as a transport. I've been offered a "vintage" sony player for €20, so I might give that a shot..

Any other opinions?
I've been looking at the Arcam Delta 170/250 & Meridian 200 but they're all mad money.

Commited said:
Are there any Cheap old/new CD Players out there that have a particularly good transport? The Phillips CD723 looks decent enough...

Most of the older Philips and Marantz players are pretty good as transports. Some are better than others - search the archives. A new clock and SPDIF circuit will work wonders.

The reason the old timers give no answers is because talk drives up the price until they're not cheap anymore!

What are you looking to play? Just cd's and cd-r's or also cd-rw's?

Most older equiptment won't play cd-rw's, but if you're like me its not a problem. That said, I've been very pleased with my Sony cdp ca70es which I got on ebay for $70 used. Its fast, never skips and has a damn good DAC. Its a newer model with optical out, buy maybe you should look at some of the older versions with spdif, I think the build quality on these early ES series players will impress you.

Cheap - ideally less than $50, but I suppose I could go to $100.

I know of an Arcam 6 for sale for about $150, but that is more than I think I need to spend.

I was looking at the CD-63 & CD-67 marantz players - do they have a decent transport stage?

I will probably re-clock whatever I buy in the future, but I'm looking for something reliable and good sounding out of the box!

Getting a DVD player would be handy for the obvious convenience but it's not really an issue.

Chipco - what CD-rom drives have a skip back button?

Mark

This is a little OT but I have been fooling with transports and kind of given up.

I just fired up the Panasonic DVD S29 that I ordered last week ready to admit defeat and disapointment.

Sounds great. Perhaps I will pull the top off and see what's up. It's definitely a good sounding player for sixty bucks. I would recommend it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.